Taking a break, maybe people will have grown up when I return

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

This place has recently become less of a forum for mac and technology and has been inundated with anti-French sentiments/hatred/and ignorance, hopefully this will cool down when a solution is found for the current political issues at hand, but its disheartening to see this much animosity and I received a few "anonymous" and juvenile emails about France from someone on the boards here (because my last name is LaRue I'm assuming,) so I will be taking a short break, at least for a few weeks. Anyways, this is probably my most pointless post to date, but I felt the need to say something about it.

Adieu....Oh wait that is French, wouldn't want to piss anyone off.
    :rolleyes:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Sorry to see you taking a break Medea.

In the future, please "report" any inflamatory posts/messages. While people are entitled to their opinion... inflammatory posts are not tolerated regardless of subject matter.

arn

3. vniow macrumors G4

Wow, that sux, I've seen a lot of childish behavior on the boards but I never knew it went outside them.[​IMG]

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i'm sorry you've been treated like that. i hope you can come back soon. i apreciate your posts greatly.
    bon soir, mon amie. (i can't spell)

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey, good luck and take care. Hope you're back here soon. However, it's always going to be a bit adversarial, no matter where you are.

I've been through plenty of racial harrassment (the receiving end) and it gets better.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Last week I felt the same way medea so I just decided to stay out of the politcally charged conversations for a bit.

Lethal

7. pantagruel macrumors regular

whoh that is a surprise, I mean I know people get silly on the posts here but to take it to a personal level like that and email is too far, I hope that person reads this and feels ashamed. sorry media, dont let it get you down though and come back soon man, I've gotten quite a bit of info from you.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That is silly, i have french german and english blood. I dont care what your last name is but you shouldnt let fools chase you away from what you want to do or say. Mac rumors is a great forum to say whatever. Even if you want to side against inaction which is totaly wrong in my opinion against this killer you should say what you feel is right! Remember doing nothing is doing nothing so post! and with that said Saddam has had enough time to do everything the world has asked of him! All he has to do is give up his stuff but he wont.

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

that is wrong...i'm totally on your side.

i don't understand how people can do things like that... our government has conflicting views with france, therefore all french people are bad?? what on earth are they thinking? its ridiculous...i almost got involved with the political threads but decided to just avoid them, cause people can be so ...weird...

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

This is why I almost never visit the political discussions anymore. I used to be interested in discussions, but they evolved (if you want to put it that way) into flamebits and offensive rants. Not to mention, as this situation demonstrates, some of the material has become rather objectionable to certain people and would prefer to not take part in such discussion.

From my experience with myself and others, everyone has certain objectionable resources of weakness he/she would like to avoid at ALL times. In this case, someone (whoever that person or persons is/are) has offended medea in a sensitive spot and needs to take five.

Anyone considering this "rant" medea has brought up for this thread is not over the line. The situation is being addressed at hand by "blowing steam", yet medea is not making any credible threats towards individuals (I think).

There was a situation a few weeks back with someone's encountering an unsupportive Apple Store salesperson. The person began to "rant" about it and made offense to the salesperson in a manner, which was objectionable to several people reading the post. (I would rather not mention names.)

Basically, if an individual has encountered a situation of critical sensitivity, the person needs to take a break. As long as this was a one-time event, and as long as the offender realizes the harm done, medea will be back.

medea, take it calm and slow. When you come back, all of the posters of this thread shall be waiting for you, probably not all at once, though. :)

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I know I am new, but I came right before the creation of the policial forum. I like the fact that I can read a group that doesn't have any threads that annoy me (like community), or if I feel like bickering I can go to the policial forums. (Although current events can get political too.)

Anyway, I am sad to hear about the trouble you had Medea. I hope you come back soon!

12. mikulashek macrumors member

I think that someone went too far by emailing Medea, and he should trace the IP if it was truly harrassing and report it to the ISP, but as far as the board goes I think that it is great the there is a political forum, you see I have lurked around for a while now and only started to post recently but have always read posts before and before the politcal forum was created there was that kind of crap happening all over the boards, that was too much but now its mostly confined to the political forum, except for the current news part in which some people post their own views on a subject instead of actual news.
    We should and could all be more tolerant of others, not all French people are bad, the President of France isnt even a bad person, he has a Noble Peace Prize for a reason folks. but aside from that, this is a travesty and I hope that it doesnt spread.
    Dont hate me because I'm (insert country here.)
    or do not hate me because my name is Russian.
    Please let's at least be at peace online in the community.

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Medea, that really is too bad, I don't know anyone too well on this board yet, and I hope to get to know more of you much better, I hope the break lends you increased tolerance to ars**oles who don't know when far is too far.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

See you soon.:)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think this is why the political discussions have no place at a site like this...they get way too heated and people start getting personal on the issues.

I never even tough those. I figure I'll stick to my geekiness with discussions of poop, drunkeness & whatever Mac-related things come up.

Sorry to hear it got this bad. :(

15. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

\

arn, thats how you handle a member of your site that has received racial hate mail from another one of your members? why arent you encouraging the creator of this thread to email you on who this person is?

man arn, that was weak.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, that's just not right - sorry to hear that medea. Things are a little turbulent, that's for sure - but I hope you keep lurking, because you never know what you might miss (970s) ;)

I've felt that things have become more agitated recently as well, but its not just on MacRumors. I'm hoping this phase will soon pass.

Good luck,

D

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if your pissed off i would jsut avoid the current events/ political discussions forums theres not much falming when people discuss how much they want their 17in pbook

18. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Medea, this is the first time I see you:D

About the political thing.

Even I'm the first person that jumps in to the political topic and even I'm loosing my life here in Venezuela because of political issues, I declare:

To take out the political issues from this site. Politics is a very big issue, opinion and experiences are like noses, each one have a diffrenet one and many poeple are not in to the subject and as citizens have their right to submit their opinion.

Right now in my country, the oposition to the goverment have so many points of view that we can not figure out which way to go, most of the time ignorance, lack of interest or hipocrecy. Well, imagine to discuss such topics in a forun specialized in computer with adults and kids from differnet countries.

I would say Macrumors is not the best place to talk and concentrate about this issues, even is a wide community we are taking the point of interes to some other place, specially because the lack of rumors:mad:

We should discuss this topic here or in a specify thread to see (in a democratic way) if the site will legalize political discussions or deny them!

I have talked.:rolleyes:

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

I hear that. I agree that it's great to set aside a section for common discussion a significant portion of the board would rather not take part in, either in part, or as a whole, but it's another to treat the section as a bashing room for arguments.

When there are intelligent discussions, there is information passed along. When there are flamebits for intelligent discussions, stupidity is passed along. It's that simple. Anyone involved in tossing "flamebits" back and forth, especially in political discussions, should use this as a model.

I also hear you about the Current Events section. If certain political discussions seem unwelcome for an individual, however, he/she should look past that article and check out other news reports. It's that simple, as well.

I'm sure medea will be back to check out the 970s.

20. pantagruel macrumors regular

Dont blame it on Arn man, I'm sure he is a busy guy and the fact that medea is just taking some time off to cool down shows he doesnt want to make this a big thing he is just pointing it out, I guess:confused: but unless it came from a specific member, and he said it was anonymous, then there really isnt anything he or arn can do about it. He is probably just tired of French bashing, I mean if hes frnech then its like sticking around a KKK forum when your an african-american.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

devil's advocate

now arn's not a babysitter around here...

true, it is a responsibility to oversee as much as one can around here...but it's impossible to avoid these types of things from happening...

I blame the users here...u know who u are... :rolleyes:

22. job macrumors 68040

job

it isn't "racial" hatemail.

last i checked, french wasn't a race.

23. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Taking a break, maybe people will have grown up when I return

bye then. on the bright side, at least you're not Arn and taking you're ball home, that would be a shame.

But then I don't think Arn is in the demographic that would think going off in a huff would have any connection with another persons ability to appear to others as grown up.:)

24. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

this is the petty nit picking that i despise here. come on mr hitman....does this somehow make the offenses upon the creator of this post less important? or are you just demanding profection upon my semantics? if its the later dont bother im not perfect and dont try to be.

bunch of old ladies around here with your nit picking.

25. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Arn does not have nothing to do with this.

Is Medea black? I do not know, there are some things that fly over my head around here.

The thing about politics is that it is a very sensitive topic specially now, and not every one have the experience to talk about some things.

Every body here has a Mac but not every body have the same goverment and is involve equally in to politics. So, some people may thing they have the truth, etc, etc.

It is a topic that is too big and we do not need to be in to the politics trhead to start a discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.