Taking A Trip to Cedar Point, Hershey & DC

Discussion in 'Community' started by Toppa G's, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Good afternoon to my colleagues at MR! :D

I'm looking to take a trip near the end of August with my fiance to Cedar Point in Ohio; Hershey, PA (to visit Chocolate World, of course) and Washington DC. Out of these destinations, I've only been to DC as part of a class trip, so I am looking for any money saving advice as well as things to do and see. I'm also looking for places to stay that aren't too expensive and have a fairly low risk of being robbed/car stolen/etc. Outskirts and cities a few miles away are just fine with me if it means money savings, but never having been to these places, I don't know where to look. :confused:

Places we would like to see in DC:
    Capitol/Mall
    Various War Memorials (vietnam, WWII, etc.)
    National Archives
    Bureau of Engraving and Printing
    Smithsonians

I've seen information about the Tourmobile that drives around DC to the memorials and things of that nature - has anyone used it and found it a good way to get around?

Any other suggestions of cool things to see are welcomed. I'm hoping that others who have lived in or taken trips to these places will be able to help me plan a safe, fun and memorable trip. :D

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

At cedar point there are a few options around the park that have trolleys / buses so you don't have to drive into the park in the morning. Cedar Point is good fun, I was there a few years ago and it was good fun.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

The Tourmobile is the best bet - you pay a flat fee and can get on and off the bus anywhere you want the whole day.

The Vietnam, WWII Memorial, Lincoln and the Washington Monument are fairly close together, but the Washington Monument grounds were still undergoing landscaping after a major project a couple of weeks ago (last time I ran in DC).

The Smithsonians are all lined along the mall. You'll have a hard time seeing them all unless you have a few days. The Bureau of Prinitng and Engraving is hard to get tickets to. Get there early, or reserve online.

With the Washington heat this time of year, do the Tourmobile - you won't regret it.

Enjoy. :D

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

When at Cedar Point, do Millennium Force, you'll won't regret standing in line.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There are lots of cheap motels around Cedar Point. Most of them are $50 a night or less. That is of course, if you don't mind beige walls, ceilings, carpet, bedspreads, etc. :) We stayed in one and it was fine.

6. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

From hershey, take a 3 hour east trip to the Poconos! Then take 78 to 95 to get to DC.

You can always stop at Baltimore on the way to DC from hershey if you want, catch an Orioles Game at Camden Yards.

7. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

You also need tickets for the Holocaust Museum and the Washington Monument.

8. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I actually book reservations for motel 6, and we have locations in both of those places...
    cedar point: $60 for a weekday, $76 for a weekend,
    D.C.: $65 for a weekday, $71 for a weekend.

let me know if you want me to make a reservation for you, and you can PM me your name and such.(we dont need a Credit card unless youre arriving after 6:00 pm)

9. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Holy cow, you guys are great :D

Thanks for all of the information. I'm excited to see all of the coasters at Cedar Point - I've been to the Six Flags near Gurnee, IL, but that's it for my coaster experience.

Good to hear about the Tourmobile...I figured it would be a good option but just wanted to make sure...btw, iGary, nice Jobs 'tar this week :D Thanks for all that additional information about the other DC places of interest - I'd really like to see the BEP, since my major is print-related and money is cool :D, but we'll see. Looks like there's no way to reserve online since it's peak season.

We won't try to see all of the Smithsonians, probably, but at least get a flavor for some of it.

Thanks for the great offer...I still have to confirm that the trip is doable, but that gives me some numbers to work with :D

Thanks everyone for your helpful information!!!! :D :D :D

10. RJP31484 macrumors regular

When you do know the dates, book with motel6 online, they send reps out to competing motels to check prices in order to ensure we are the lowest priced motel around. also, booking online usually gives you about a 10% discount.

(haha.. boy.. ive been working here a month, and I already sound like our marketing department)

11. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Opinion And My Advice For Going To Cedar Point

Hi,

Haven't been to the other two places, but we just got back from a trip from Cedar Point for two days with 20 people :cool:

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that as previously mentioned in the thread, you have to ride Millenium Force. It's been the number one rated roller coaster off and on over the last five years. ;)

Also, you should make your way on to Top Thrill Dragster first (420feet tall, 0-120mph in less than four seconds), to avoid the line that will def. follow as it gets later on in the day. You can't miss it, the tallest yellow coaster to the left of Power Tower. :p

Also, which most people will dismiss as just a "souped up carnival ride" is maXair, which is a 14 story tall spin ride which has a peak top speed of 70mph. It won't make you sick, and it's something you won't soon forget. (I have intense motion sickness on most spinny rides and this one gave me no feelings of nausea.

Just my two cents....Have a great time :)

BTW: Also probably the best amusement park I've been to. It's been voted "Best amusement park seven years in a row"....If you look at any of the awards it's received. We drove 360 miles to go there when there's a Six Flags 10 minutes away from me........It's an amusement park on steroids......Highly Highly recommended!! :D :D

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Depending on how long before your trip, contact your Representative and/or Senator for possible tours of the White House and Capital. Know they did that sort of thing pre 9-11; not so sure now.

Despite what you hear DC is not as bad as you might think. Crime happens anywhere in the USA. Just don't act like a tourist and you should do OK. You can always check something like Yahoo Travel and see what rooms rates are like. I find that staying in the city I am visiting with easy walking or easy mass trans access out weighs the hassle of long commutes to enjoy my stay. Bread&Breakfast places are a great way to save some money too.

If you are into photography at all the Washington Photo Safari has some tours that will also sharpen your skills as a photographer.

13. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that additional information. I'm not too concerned about touring the White House...I know that they like to do lots of background checks for the White House, but parts of the Capitol are still open for public tours, and that will be sufficient for us.

The only reason I brought up the safety thing was because of this thread where people shared experiences with the DC area :eek:

I'll have to check out the Photo Safari thing...I'm not a serious photographer as I know many of you are, but I do have fun taking the occasional picture :D As I finalize the dates, I'll be looking more into the lodging. It should be a fun trip!

Again, I appreciate everyone's input :D

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Car thefts are up, but crime on people is generally down. Also most crime against persons are in neighborhoods you will probably never go into. Come on down and enjoy yourself.

15. DCBass macrumors 6502

You'll get hungry, beware of taxis

Toppa G,

Just so you know, it won't be that easy to grab a bite to eat when you're on the national mall in DC. A good place that I've found is a cafe in the sculpture garden just west of the Natural History Museum. There's also an excellent, large fountain that I see a lot of couples at. Hey DC locals, are there any other options for food besides museum cafeterias? I'd be curious to know as well.

Also, taxis can be pricey since their fee is zone-based.

Enjoy your stay in DC. It's a beautiful town. I also recommend checking out Ford's theater if you have a chance.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Off the beaten path but Ben's Chili Bowl is a local fav. (http://www.benschilibowl.com/).

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

As far as I'm concerned, Kabob Palace has the best, cheap food in the DC area. Its so good, every time I come back to DC I make sure I eat there at least once. And its now open 24 hours a day :D

If you go see the Iwo Jima Memorial (one of the views of the Mall and Monuments from the hill there) its right down 110, past the Pentagon.

Also for good views of the city - go to the Kennedy Center and go to the upper level, walk outside (around by the restaurant) and look to the south east. Its another good view of the Mall, Monuments and Capitol Building.

Another stop is Hotel Washington - they have an outdoor bar/restaurant on the roof, right on 14th St. Great view of the Washington Monument and really close to the White House. If you go at night and take pictures around the capitol, just remember that you have to have a permit to take pics with a tripod - yep, that's right. Eyelikeart, Moxiemike, Evolozione and I almost got arrested a couple years ago during our Geekfest DC - but a little fast talking got us a warning and they only took our names :D

Have fun!

D

18. iGary Guest

iGary

19. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Ooh, chili! Their menu looks like it could do some damage to my recently started fitness plan :eek:

Thanks Mr. Anderson and iGary for the other suggestions too - food is definitely an important part of our trip so suggestions on where to eat are great help :D Thanks also Mr. A for the tip about the tripod - I wasn't planning on bringing one for the sake of traveling as lightly as possible, but it's good to know how to avoid arrests ;)

20. RJP31484 macrumors regular

oh man... the ONE time ive been to D.C. to a concert, I ACCIDENTALLY stumbled upon that place, and everyhting was DELICIOUS!!... very unhealthy, but man is it good. I highly recommend it.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I forgot about one place that you should try if you like burgers (remembered it because of the other thread) It Five Guy's Burgers. There are a handful around the DC Metro area and they are by far the best in town and as far as I'm concerned better than anything I've had anywhere else. Track one down if you get a chance.

D

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Send back pictures if you can, I'm looking forward to seeing it as a possible future vacation spot.

23. Toppa G's thread starter macrumors 6502

Between my fiance and I, we should have lots of pictures of everything that I will post to my .Mac account soon after we get back :D

24. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I hope you have fun. I love DC. As far as the Smithsonians go, I've only ever been to the Air and Space and Zoo. I spent all day in the A&S, and didn't even get to see everything. There is so much cool stuff in there. The zoo was neat as well. The pandas were out and about. They look cute, but they'll tear your head off. They're behind glass, so don't worry. :D You need to go and do all the stupid tourist things. Lincoln Memorial, Washington Memorial, Capitol.

At the mall, there is something you need to look for. When I was there, I was walking around with my stepdad, and we wondered into some trees. Buried behind triees, grass and ivy and all sorts of other stuff was this little marble pagoda. After tearing off enough ivy to read the writings on it, we found out what it was. It was the WWI memorial. Look for it. I don't remember exactly where it was, but I know it was in some trees by the mall. It kinda got to me. To see something like that in such a state of disrepair. It made me a little sad to be honest.

Look for reletives at the Vietnam Memorial. I have a couple up there, and I took some rubbings.

But yeah. DC was wonderful. I've never been to anywhere else you will be going. I hear, though, that just breathing in Hershey gives you a cavity. :D

Have fun!

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its south of the Reflecting Pool between the Lincoln and Washington Monuments - You can't miss it, its a rotunda in the woods. The Roosevelt and WWII monuments are the new ones and quite cool as well.

Also, I forgot about the new Air and Space Museum Annex out by Dulles Airport...they the Space Shuttle Enterprise, a SR-71, the Enola Gay and a ton more big planes they couldn't house on the Mall. Definitely worth a trip.

D