Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
i have a 2008 macbook pro and i know it does digital audio with the headphone port. (sometimes the led comes on accidentally) and i also have an ipod hi-fi. so what kind of cable do i need to connect them?

TheProfessor

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
This is similar to what I want to know.

I am in the process of building my Mini based home media center and I want to get digital audio into my HK receiver, but I'm not sure what cable to use.
A standard "optical" cable doesn't look right, but I can't seem to find anything that DOES..

Any help out there guys?

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
fiber cables have many different ends ... you need one that that is long and skinny like a 1/8" jack.

Attachments

• 100_2492.jpg
    100_2492.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 85

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
thanks for the pic! i can't find headphone jack-sized fiber optic cables anywhere, where'd you get that?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Some come with the adaptor to convert the box end you usually see to the headphone size optical. I bought my many years ago and I though all were like that.

yaemes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
if anyone's curious...

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Toslink-...UTF8&coliid=I2ZLYDYL5J198A&colid=QWA5ZBOEPXXJ

or

http://www.topmicrousa.com/opmitoopmito.html

i think im going to get a cable for christmas so ill share the results then. and i think its important to know that every toslink cable is totally identical. since its digital theres either 0% signal degradation or 100% signal degradation. it either works or it doesn't work. eg paying a higher price to get a "better" cable is pointless, since all toslink is the same, except for actual mechanical durability.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
i have a 2008 macbook pro and i know it does digital audio with the headphone port. (sometimes the led comes on accidentally) and i also have an ipod hi-fi. so what kind of cable do i need to connect them?

I don't believe the Hi-fi has digital audio in, and if it does it would be in the form of a coaxial digital input, not optical in which case you would need to get a SPDIF converter, the cheapest one I have found was priced at $80...

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
To be annoying here - quality WOULD be an issue with Toslink - if running multiple splits, or long distances. As higher quality fibers (ones that use actual glass, for example) will carry better than cheap-o's.

BUT - unless you talking 25 foot + cables, this is 100% non issue.

That's what I can't understand why people think 200 dollar HDMI cables are always better than 7 dollar ones. Same thing, digital is 1 or 0.

Eh.

Also, FYI, you have a mini-toslink to mini-toslink. Most receivers take standard (square shaped) toslink in - so be sure to check the receiver before ordering that cable. The one I linked is (above) is what's going from my iMac to my Z-5500.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
i think im going to get a cable for christmas so ill share the results then. and i think its important to know that every toslink cable is totally identical. since its digital theres either 0% signal degradation or 100% signal degradation. it either works or it doesn't work. eg paying a higher price to get a "better" cable is pointless, since all toslink is the same, except for actual mechanical durability.

not exactly true. but it's less of a distinction than with analog.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
To be annoying here - quality WOULD be an issue with Toslink - if running multiple splits, or long distances. As higher quality fibers (ones that use actual glass, for example) will carry better than cheap-o's.

BUT - unless you talking 25 foot + cables, this is 100% non issue.

That's what I can't understand why people think 200 dollar HDMI cables are always better than 7 dollar ones. Same thing, digital is 1 or 0.
You would think so, but even digital signals suffer from signal degridation and cable losses.
The best example is CD audio, where even though the signaling is digital there will almost always be data "lost" through the process of reading the data off the disc, and circuitry built into the CD player will try and compensate for the loss, it is known as error correction.

Same thing with Ethernet, have you ever heard of "dropped packets", caused by a cable run that is either too long or suffering from some other interference? The run might work, but it will suffer from poor performance.

So yes, digital signals do suffer from cable issues. What you've got to ask yourself is whether or not you will notice the losses enough to care. TOSLINK is such a comparativley simple optical protocol (LED, simple modulation, slow clock rate) that you could argue that there is not a real need for things like glass fiber and finely polished ends, things that are critical when it comes to higher data rate multimode fiber runs for data.

I will agree that for 95% of the consumers out there the $7 HDMI cables and $5 TOSLINK cables are perfectly fine for their intended applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.