Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Hi

This isn't that important but I wouldn't mind being able to sort this out....

I have two external Hard Drives and I connect them and it takes about 1-2 minutes before they show up in finder for me to connect to them, if I connect them up to windows xp or vista it connects up in a few seconds. is this normal. my ipods only take a few seconds.

thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What's happening is that Mac OS X is spinning down your external drives to save energy when they're not in use. If you don't like this behavior, go into System Preferences -> Energy Saver and uncheck "Spin down hard disks when possible".

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
I believe wrldwzrd89 is thinking of something else when he said that. The disc only spins down after it is plugged in and it is not being used, but it only takes a few seconds to spin it up again. The original question is why it takes so long for Finder to recognize a new drive when it is first plugged in. My Powerbook takes about 35 seconds to recognize my FW HDD and it bothers me, but I also have no fixes.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Argh!

Mine does the exact same thing except its more like 2 - 3 minutes! It is soo annoying, so far this is the only let down with my iMac. I'd love it if someone knew why it happens, I though maybe its because there is so much stuff on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.