Taking Apart a g3 imac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ktbubster, Jun 26, 2007.

1. ktbubster
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Ok...

So... I sorta have a project in mind I'd like to attempt, but I'd actually like to know if you think it is possible. I have plenty of computer engineers and computer savy folk around here to help me with it, but i'd like to know if it seems possible before i decide to start.

I have an old g3 iMac... that worked until the harddrive was taken out that is... haha. I got it from some old school equipment the were getting rid of. The harddrive and ram were taken out before it came into my posession.

Anyway what I would love to do... is basically use the casing and the screen , but swap out the processor to ATLEAST a g4 as well as put in a superdrive, more ram and a bigger harddrive...

Really i'd like to put new components into a g3 imac casing. It would be really great if I could get g5 parts in there but I know that's a long shot especially keeping cost low (idealy would be intel parts, btu as they are newer I know i won't be finding a good deal on any scrap pieces from those lol)

Basically I'd love to have the look of the original g3 imac but with AT LEAST the power of a g4 as well as the harddrive and disk drive and basically the ability to run leopard when it comes out.

Why do I want to do this? Well.. it's not really for any practical reasons... It seems like it would be fun, and I love the look of the original imacs. I already have a macbook pro.. so this isn't really for any sort of daily use, just would be nifty and fun to have a machine just for media and running things the casing says it shouldn't be able to.

I am just wondering as far as changing all the parts out.. (those that are left anyway) i know may need some reworking in the inside, would i still be able to connect back to the original display and all that? Could I get some of the current parts to sync with a g4 processor of a decent speed (i'd like one of the later processors over 1ghz) as well as ram etc?

Any help or suggestions would be great. Just please don't tell me it's a pointless idea. Constructive help please. I like what i like :)

2. R.Youden
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am looking at putting a mac mini inside an old iMac G3. I think the hardest thing is getting a new LCD into the case. The CRt has a curved surface so you will end up with gaps around the edge which can be filled in with some putty or similar.

3. ktbubster
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

is there any reason why I couldn't connect everything back to the original CRT that is already in there. It was working fine to my knowledge or would I have to put in a new LCD?

I'd prefer to stick with the CRT in there if possible (I don't mind the old outdated screen for this project) sorry if I was unclear.

The power of a mac mini in an old imac would be great :) Perhaps I should look into that .. and wait a bit till I can find a good deal on one.

4. R.Youden
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

R.Youden

It is a while since I checked it out but I think that the CRT connection onto the logic board of the imac G3 is not a standard connection. You maybe able to convert to VGA or DVI but you will need to make your own convertor which is a pain and very difficult. There are a few mod sites which show how to install a LCD display.

5. shu82
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

shu82