Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Canada
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a guide on how to take apart an iBook G3? My old friend died (I called her Bessie) and I want to scrap it for parts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!! :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yes, iFixit is the place to go. I did a hard drive upgrade on a Clamshell - it's a bit of a pain. If you have any intention of putting the thing back together make sure to print out the screw guides that iFixit provides so you can keep track of things!

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Canada
Lord Blackadder said:
Yes, iFixit is the place to go. I did a hard drive upgrade on a Clamshell - it's a bit of a pain. If you have any intention of putting the thing back together make sure to print out the screw guides that iFixit provides so you can keep track of things!

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that dear Bessie has past. I just want to see if I can salvage what was on my hard drive (my precious, precious por... er, documents) and reuse the RAM.

But, I'm not very clever with these things, so it'll likely end with me throwing it against a wall. :|

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Unfortunately for you, the hard drive is one of the last parts to come out...just about the only thing harder to remove is the logic board.:(

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
In short: Keep yourself organized, use good tools and give yourself time to do the work.

If you don't own the tools that are recommended, get them, and don't chince. A cheep screwdriver or a miss sized torx or hex wrench can be maddening.

Use ice cube trays or a water color trays. Even one will help a great deal. From Pearl Arts- $.99-$2.00 max.

A cheep ESD strap may be overkill, but hey, for a couple of bucks, it can't hurt. If you have an electronics supply store near you, then it will most likely be about $1.50, the one listed here is $1.14.

A spudger is recommended to help separate some of the plastics. If you don't have one, or can't find one, an old credit card is a fantastic tool to gently pry apart parts!

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Canada
One more thing.. is it possible to take RAM out of my G3 iBook and put it in a G4 iBook.
innocent.gif

Thanks for all the advice, chaps!

Jackie.Cane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Canada
Ok well I've somehow managed to take out the hard drive. But I'm clueless as to how I can go about connecting it to my new iBook.

Can someone point me to products that will allow me to do this?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.