Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
the latest issue of MacAddict has this little thing in the "How To" section where they tell you how to open an iPod
Opening an iPod is simple-if you know the secret. We do, and we like you, so we'll share. Turn the iPod upside down so you're looking at the Apple logo; push in on the Apple logo until you hear the clinking pop that metal makes when you bend it. Still pushing on the Apple logo, grip the iPod by its sides and separate the white front from the metal back. The trick is gripping the rear (metal) part of the sides without also holding down the white plastic you're trying to remove.
Can anyone tell me if they have tried this and whether or not it works?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
does not work for me, and i applied enough pressure to damn near break the thing...

i don't really have any reason to get inside, but it sounds fun :)

pnw

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
ipod question:

if you copy your ipod when it is attached to your mac, and you search the pasted file, no mp3's come up...

for example: the file info said 7.34 gigs, yet there was no mp3s to be found... how do you get to them???

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
MP3s are stored on an iPod in a way that only iTunes can see-- you can't access them any other way. It's to prevent file sharing. You also cannot copy an MP3 to a computer, has to be the other way around. Tho there are utilities that let you do this... just search versiontracker.

pnw

janey

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
well i tried everything i could find on all the iPod related websites and stuff...still can't get it open and even if i do i void the warranty (as usual)...:(

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Copying MP3s from your iPod

Originally posted by paulwhannel
MP3s are stored on an iPod in a way that only iTunes can see-- you can't access them any other way. It's to prevent file sharing. You also cannot copy an MP3 to a computer, has to be the other way around. Tho there are utilities that let you do this... just search versiontracker.

pnw

I found this software while surfing:
http://www.damsleth.com/ipod.asp
It supposedly allows you to rip MP3s off of your iPod, but I've never tried it.
max

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yeah and you can see them and i think copy them by the command line, too. they're stored in

/Volumes/Your_iPod_Name/iPod_Control/Music

Unfortunately sorted by an internal system, so it's not always easy to find the song you're looking for, but you could always copy the whole directory and then have iTunes scan it and copy the files...

assuming, of course, you were simply restoring your legally obtained music library back to your computer after deleting it... :)

pnw

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
of course it is all legal. i wouldnt want to jeopardize royalties paid out, and i certainly dont want it over my head that Rod Stewart couldn't buy ANOTHER beach house in malibu due to upaid dues :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.