Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
So I'm going to be travelling to London in September, and I'm planning on taking my new Macbook with me (primarily the reason I got it).

I've been trying to figure out the power resources, will any plain converter work? If I plug my Macbook power into a generic converter will it be ok? Or should I go to the Apple store once I get to London and pick up a power source there? Are the wattages different from the US to England? I don't want to end up frying my Macbook.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Macbook will self adapt to 240 volts.Just a regular adaptor from anywhere will convert 2 prong US style adaptor to UK type(two quid or so anywhere).

Whoops mustn't assume your USean,whatever plug style you have an adaptor will be available locally.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I think as well your charge times will decrease as well. (somebody back me up on this)

When I went to Japan last year, it took ages to fully charge, I can only assume it was because the amount of electricity going to the charger wasn't as much as it would get over here because of higher voltages.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
The input voltage has no effect on charging times.The output is always the same regardless of 110-240v.(unless of course you plug it into 480 or something in which case a large pile of molten plastic and a lot of acrid smoke will result).:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.