Taking Math notes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 7on, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Is there a program out there that handles the specifics of Math characters and such for note taking in class?

2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

there isnt much you can do (or that is quicker) other than paper and pencil for math notes (or buy a tablet pc). i dont know of any program for taking math notes. A math program like mathematica, maple, or mathcad could be used to take notes but thats not what they are made for really.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I agree, low tech all the way.

Maybe if the notes are simple enough something like http://itexmac.sourceforge.net/ might work OK. Definitely not something I would try in an advanced math/science class.

B

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Mac OS X's Character Palette has plenty of math symbols, so you could keep the Palette open while using a simple text editor. That choice has the advantage of being free, but you'd be entering info in a linear fashion, not arranging math symbols in two dimensions.

Attached Files:

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I found what I needed in the form of grapher. Yesterday it didn't work because of some missing fonts (I've had font problems recently). Anyway I've found that it does what I need (I can type equations in Grapher and copy and paste them to pages).

Attached Files:

6. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I still don't think anything comes close to writing by hand, especially with math/science courses. I don't know what class this is for, but in a lot of classes, you'll need to sketch stuff that isn't easily done with a computer.

7. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Well, there's MathType. It can do about any scientific symbol imaginable. Good for projects, too cumbersome to take notes with, imo.