Taking notes on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shamash, Apr 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm loving using Pages to take notes with the keyboard, but I'm considering trying one of the note-takers and a stylus.

I'm less interested in people's opinions about the note taking apps, and more interested in opinions on the stylus available. Which did you guys get? Did you buy it online or in a store? Do you notice any scratching on your screen? Does it write well? ETC.

Also, if anyone feels passionately that one of the note-taking apps is simply the best, that would be nice too, but I'd rather not have a comparison of 6 different apps and all of their +s and -s.

Thanks to anyone who can help :O

2. macrumors regular

I would like to know as well...Would it work well with a screen cover?

3. macrumors 6502a

I'm considering the same thing. Am very interested in seeing how people respond to this question.

4. macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I haven't found a stylus yet that isn't annoyingly rubbery.

If you really want to do handwritten note taking, Noteshelf has the best drawing/writing engine - too much lag on others.

I want to like them but I find them messy. Typing's much cleaner and quicker. I haven't found an app yet that'll let you just touch the page where you want text and just start typing there. Anyone?

I used a whole bunch; Notably is nice and clean, and iA Writer is a good, clean, no-frills focused text writing app. But I guess for notes you want highlighting etc.

I found that actually I mostly returned to Pages for the mix of clean writing and simple formatting I wanted...

5. macrumors 6502

I use NotetakerHD with a boxwave stylus every day to take notes. Noteshelf isn't bad, but I prefer the zoom-write feature on Notetaker better.

The problem I find with most styli is that they are too short. I would really prefer one the size and weight of a normal pen, but haven't found one like that that glides well enough over the screen. The Pogo is way to small (think about trying to write with a toothpick) and the tip just doesn't feel right too me.

The Boxwave does have a rubber tip, but it glides nicely over the screen either with or without a screen protector.

6. macrumors 6502

FYI there are several threads on notetaking apps in the iPad Apps forum here.

After reading them I decided not to bother. My handwriting is small and horribly sloppy so I just don't think I could write legibly with a stylus on a capacitive touch screen from all I've read and seen from other's experiences.

I just take short notes in meetings etc. using the Notes app and send them to evernote.

Anything I need more detailed notes (and thus can't type fast enough on the onscreen keyboard to keep up) I either use pen and paper or my laptop. Suppose I could get a keyboard case like the Zaggmate one and use the ipad, but I don't need detailed notes often enough to spend the money on one personally.

7. macrumors member

Trouser Cough

Crowded Busses, Cramped Elevators, Taco Bell
    had the pogo for a while, it was ok. I just ordered this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Nataal-Premiu...evices/dp/B004HNCRNO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

should be here tomorrow. But honestly, the best is a pack of rolled up cold cuts, preferably honey ham, smoked if possible. It provides the highest amount of capacitance of all the cold cut meats, with the except of sliced salmon, but fish on an ipad is just bad news (we've all been there, am irite?)

8. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Note Taker HD

Just bought Notetaker HD. I'm very impressed. I especially like the option of writing in "ink" as well as being able in type in text. I also like the object orientation feature which enables me to move and manipulate blocks of text. I've taken ant previous note taking apps I acquired and now use Notetaker HD, exclusively for note taking. The only feature missing, which I might like to have is copy/paste. Perhaps it will be available in a future update.

9. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Try UPAD :) I'm currently using the lite version and is planning to buy the full version :)

10. macrumors regular

I am using Totes M'Notes app and I really like it. I purchased a stylus on ebay that works with the iPad, however, I thought that the rubbery end DID stick in spots with a screen protector on. It definitely wasn't smooth. I like that the app offers both a handwriting and typing input because I can do either. If is a quick line or number, etc.. The stylus really wasn't for me..

11. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Notify lets you touch the screen and type anywhere.....

I use a Griffin stylus which works well when I use it- but I usually end up typing short notes as I find handwriting a bit frustrating on the ipad- just can't quite get the precision I want when writing, and therefore the speed I'd like.....

12. macrumors 6502a

I use the Alupen stylus which I get on with well. Certainly a lot better than writing with my finger! Zero screen scratching as well. Any stylus is best used with a note-taking app which allows you to zoom into the writing area and offers auto-advance & carriage return.

13. macrumors 6502

I recently purchases the nataal stylus from amazon which was $9. It's a good size and weight, similar to a normal pen. It also has this attachment on the top with a piece that attaches the pen to the headphone jack. The one thing I do not like about it is that the tip is squishy, like that of the top of a dropper. It does write good but I think if it had a stiff tip it would be a lot smoother. All in all though for $9 it's a steal and I like it better then the targus which has a bit of a thicker tip.

14. macrumors newbie

iTakeNotes

They are plenty of apps to take notes on your ipad but very few are really productivity apps able to generate structured reports. Writing down meeting minutes or meeting reports is a painful process which is time consuming.

iTakeNotes has been released on the appstore recently: the principle is to formalize notes during the meeting and get a meeting report as soon as the meeting is over in pdf and in .txt if you want to review the format. They provide audio recording and camera so as not to lose any data during the meeting. The app exists in english and french and a spanish version is on its way, it is a very productive tool for those who spent desperate time formalizing their meeting notes.

15. macrumors 6502

I've been looking for a digital notebook for about a year.

My Mini + Noteshelf + Adonit Jot Pro is the best and most realistic writing solution I've found to date.

16. macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a more "pen like" tip for writing on the iPad. I am using the bamboo one right now but I constantly looking.

17. MT0227, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

macrumors 6502

Adonit Jot Pro is the closest thing available right now. I tried the Bamboo, and the Alupen; Bamboo tip was too soft, Alupen had a stiffer tip but the pen was too short...neither tip was optimal they felt like I was writing with a pencil eraser. Jot Pro is by far a much more realistic experience than anything available currently

18. macrumors 68040

GoodNotes + Pogo Sketch Pro has been the best combination for me. It is infinitely better than the Bamboo and Targus ones I used until this year. There are lots of great notetaking apps out there, but I think this one has done the best at capturing my handwriting accurately and actually displaying it well (better than the real thing?). I've used pretty much everything, though, and as long as you have a zoom box, I'd say you are good to go.