taking out the ram

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by biohazard6969, Mar 26, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

what would happen if you took out all the ram on your computer WHILE it was runnign? would this ruin it forever?

2. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Why would you want to do that? I'm quite sure that it is not advisable, and would have serious consequences for the computer!

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Yes... it could kill the computer... and you. Seriously, don't screw around with electronics. Unless... you want to thin out the population, then go for it.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think it would do serious damage. It probably would crash or something, and a restart would fix it. DO NOT TRY IT THOUGH.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm guessing permanent damage to the RAM and maybe the motherboard.
    There's 2.5 V or 3.3 V running through those chips. Any removal is going to create a spark as you break contact. Sparks are very, very bad for semiconductors. Chances are you'll touch a capacitor or a hot power component and shock the bej==$()$ out of yourself. This is an extremely bad idea.

Listen up: The fact that you asked the question at all raises some doubts about your electrical savvy. Don't go inside any machine while it is plugged into AC. Don't go inside a monitor at all, even when not plugged in.

6. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i was just wonderin, i'm not that stupid, my little brother almost did it, just to piss em off but i caught him in the act, i was just wondering what COULD have happened

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

On any forum: You are what you post, my friend.

There's no way we could have inferred a little brother in your scenario... your relative intelligence is assumed based on what you have posted.

And.. since we didn't know, we preferred to keep you as a LIVE MacRumors member rather than as a dead experimenter. Please don't be offended by that sentiment :)

8. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Hey! Why is it that everyone is mad? Have all of you NEVER just had a random question? I'm curious now about what would happen. Although I'm not about to do it to my precious Mac, I'm sure it has happened to some folks scattered around the globe for a project. I'd like to hear from them. Here's another random question: What would happen if you jammed the car into reverse while going down the highway? Would it simply strip the gears? Would it crack the rear differential? Would the wheels simply lock up? I think it's a valid question. No reason to get angry. Cheers to your first question!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hey KD, who's angry? Not me :p

The 1st responses were appropriate advice for the question asked.

Then bio clarified the scenario and said "i'm not that stupid"

So I replied that we only had the posting to go by -- the :) being a small clue that this was not an angry post.

(BTW.. we still don't know who it was that little bro' was trying to piss off. Sounds like there's more storyline here.)

10. Cybernanga macrumors regular

If it's an automatic gearbox, your tourque converter and hydraulic clutches will be rendered useless. The car will just keep going till you hit the brakes.

On a manual gearbox, if you can even get it into reverse without stripping the syncromeshes and you pop the clutch, then the gears should strip before the diff.

However, if you eased the clutch out gently, you'd come to a stop, but you'd still probably ruin your gearbox.

The only time I'd ever recommend doing this would be if you were hurtling downhill with no brakes, even then you shouldn't try reverse unless you've already stripped the other gears by changing down. If you ever find your self in a car with no brakes and no gears, pray that there is a side barrier that you can use to slow yourself down, preferably on the opposite side of the road to that sheer drop. :eek:

----------------
    With regards to the RAM, you'll fry the RAM and most probably (but not always) the logic board too.

Now I wonder what'll happen if I argh!!!.........