Taking the ipod 4G 40GB out to snowboard...good idea?

Discussion in 'Community' started by blue_monkey, Jan 17, 2005.

1. blue_monkey macrumors member

Dec 31, 2004

well...i'm going to go snowboarding soon and i want to listen to music while going into the powder! :) I recently bought an iPod clickwheel 40 gig. Can i take it with me or won't it work because it's to cold? are there things that could harm the iPod? i'll take care that it won't have any contact with water of course! will it take a crash? i will be wearing it right next to my chest so it should be protected pretty well in case i fall, as you usually stop the fall with your hands.. i won't be using the display...so that's not important. (LCDs become a little slow when it gets cold i think?) anyway, do u guys thinks it's a good idea to take my little bay out to snowboard?

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Man, if you do not have enough common sense in your brain to firgure out all those stupid questions youself you are going to be in a lot trouble in your life.

Sorry but I am really tired of threats that just show how much pop corn people have in their mind. The forums are getting so boring...
  3. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Tired of your ranting.

In regards to the OP, I would get the Shuffle for what you need to do. Flash memory is great for the type of activity you do, and if it gets wet or lost, you wont be out of so much money and grief.
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    what!??! get out of town! if they're boring to you- then leave- dont insult other members...

there is a jacket SPECIFICALLY designed for iPod use... i think by burton. with integrated controls and whatnot. if i can find the link i'll post it
  5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
  6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
  7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    I took my 3G iPod skiing a couple weeks ago. I wasn't using it when I first started out--just had it off in my pocket. After a couple hours I decided I wanted to listen to some music. I took it out, turned it on and the battery was DEAD (after it had been charging for a loooong time). It's the only time I have ever seen my battery do that. I figured it was just because of the cold...it works fine now. :confused:
  8. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Oh my, that sucked. It happened to me on one occasion as well. I had it charged fully the other night. Went to use it for working out the next morning, and it was completely dead.
  9. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    Whenever I forget to take my ipod out of my car overnight it will lose its battery charge ( 10-30 degrees out), but if the ipod is next to your body and kept somewhat warm it should stay charged.

To bad the Burton Amp is so much money or I would consider buying one.
  10. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    I don't think there would be too much risk . . . if you use a decent hardcase (like this one http://matias.ca/ipodarmor/index.php?refID=5). That said, I regularily snowboard with either my digital camera or my SLR. The digital camera had survived some rather harsh spills without an problem and the SLR just plain hurts to fall on.

The thing that could be potentially most damaging about this is the temperature change. If you are going inside and outside alot, unless your ipod is in a decently sealed case, the warm humid air you typically find in the lodge will condense on (or worse IN) your ipod when you take it outside into the cold. (common problem with cameras) But that said, if it's close to your body that the temperature swings are moderate it should not be a problem.
  11. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Agreed. You run the risk of getting condensation on the inside of the iPod display. I think it still best to think about buying an iPod shuffle to use as sort of a "throwaway" mp3 player. It is small and light enough that you won't even notice you have it on.
  12. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2004
    thanks for the answers!
    well i have a hard case that should protect the ipod pretty well..i'm not gonna take it out of my jacket for the ride so condensing shouldn't be a problem. it's relatively close to my body but also kinda close to the cold outside... :) the only thing i'm kind of worried about is that the battery will die. i really don't want to have a dead battery! anyway, i'm not planning on falling a lot..but noone know how often that will happen..
    i though abouth wrapping it in some kind of cloth or tissue to protect it better against the cold and against the case i fall. i was about to order an ipod shuffle but it takes 2-3 weeks to ship...! and i'm kinda worried about me not using my ipod 40gig anymore because right now i use it mostly for working out in my school's gym! :) however, does anyone of you know a shop that is selling iPod shuffles? i might get one anyway..as a sort of "throwaway" mp3 player..! ;)

13. blue_monkey thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2004
    "Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

Non operating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)"

i just stop by apple.com and found that. means that it won't work from -4 to 32 ? i actually don't think it will get below zero in my jacket..i don't wanna freeze! :) i'm now more concerned about the case i fall, how much of a fall can the ipod handle? i'm still interested in a shop that sells the Ipod shuffle already. i looked at bestbuy.com and u can only preorder it..

oh my god, my englisch sounds so weird, sorry for that! :) i'm a poor german student who studies in the US right now and i'm damn tired and have to go to school soon..!
  14. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about it unless it was going to be really cold, the kind of times when your gloves and hair freeze probably aren't best for the iPod either. So think about your day in advance what the weather is like and what you're going to be riding, you don't really need an iPod in the park, they have music anyway and you're more likely to fall on it. Probably a shuffle would be better as you wouldn't worry about it so much, but it's not big an issue.

However, I just stash mine in my chest (semi inside) pocket as you pretty much never land on your chest, and it would be a pretty flat on hit if you did. Most snowboard jackets now have a route to take a headphone cord from a certain pocket anyway. And as already mentioned some even have iPod controls built in, although they probably aren't worth it.