taleban attacks up 300%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 25, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

abcnews

first, there was the truce. and richard clarke said:
    but bush said:
    and today we have:
    i liked it better when richard clarke was the anti-terror chief. he seems just a bit more smart than, well, anyone in the current administration.

so who's going to send troops to afghanistan to kick out the taleban again? eritrea?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think Gomer Pyle is probably smarter than anyone in the current administration.

With respect to the Taliban, it's just bad news on top of more bad news. It's NATO that's running the show there now, and I'm confident that, faced with a strategy that isn't working, they won't just "stay the course" but will figure out something else.

One thing that's been suggested -- although it's a politically sensitive issue for Musharraf -- is totally defoliating the poppy fields, thus depriving the Taliban and al-Qaeda of the drug trade that earns them so much money. However, that's likely to stir up even more violence, at least in the short term, and we may see more NATO troops assigned to the region before this thing gets better again.

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm totally against that because it would be hurting the farmer on the ground trying to make a living to feed his family. That to me would be a real chicken ***** way of going about it; and besides, al-Qaeda would just find some other way to make money.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't think that taking away Afghanistan's principle export and the livelihood of its population with chemicals dropped from the air would endear us to the local population.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The only time poppy production dropped in Afghanistan was when the Taliban were in charge.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Assuming that all these poppies are being grown by family farmers and not warlords...is that the only kind of crop that can be grown in Afghanistan? I mean, are we saying that they have to grow a crop used to make illegal drugs because they have no other choice?

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's the most profitable. there was, as i understand it, a fairly successful program in the 90s to incent the farmers to grow something else.

such nuance seems to be long gone, though.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

George doesn't do nuance.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's looking bleak

There is this piece in today's Observer about an imminent winter offensive by the Taliban. Far from being routed, it seems they're re-gathering strength.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1934251,00.html

Meanwhile...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1934382,00.html

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My guess is another Clinton program intended for good so the first thing King George did was remove all programs that Clinton had anything to do with. Its interesting to note how many things Clinton started that this president abolished. Like everything else that George and his corporations have touched another thing thats a G.D. mess.