Taliban flee battle using children as shields

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Feb 14, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070214/wl_nm/afghan_dc

Just awful.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Agreed. I really wish that we would have concentrated on fighting in Afghanistan and truly eliminating the Taliban as a viable threat rather than losing focus and going to war in Iraq.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

EDIT: Removed as after posting I thought what I said may be offensive to some...

4. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

The Taliban could not be defeated by military force alone. Neither can any modern force driven by religious ideology. Just as we moved from lines, to trenches to combined strategic warfare, we're now entering a new epoc. As trite as it may seem, I believe the only winning move is not to play. Sure, we "take the shot" when it comes to high value targets, but open warfare is no longer a viable option. I realize it's in our nature to take vengence, BUT, it's in their nature too. Munich (the movie) is a great example of this. To defeat evil of this sort, we have to commit to a superior moral nature.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Now we're "losing focus" by going to war in Iraq while diverting troops to Afghanistan. Killing two burgahs with one, stoned and poorly thought through foreign policy.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This has all the makings of government propaganda. Nowhere does it mention who saw children being used as shields and even goes so far to say that no civilians were killed in the process of assassinating local leaders.

The US record of airstrikes on al qaeda/taliban almost always means that civilians end up as "collateral" damage.

The whole tone of this article stinks. If anyone can come up with other independent sources to back it up, I'll believe it, until then, its place is the garbage can.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, I thought the war in Afghanistan has already resulted in glorious US victory? Weren't the Taliban routed 2 years ago?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and "throwing babies out of hospital windows" has already been used.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Routed doesn't mean that there weren't a few survivors that work tirelessly to reconstitute the organization.

10. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is it really so hard for you to believe that the Taliban would do this?

You can keep defending the Taliban if you want. I wont stop you.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A few? It was more than a few. Maybe we should have stayed there fighting the real terrorists instead of pulling resources to lose in a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 and found some other way to deal with Saddam more effectively. But we didn't, so we've pretty much lost both. And then some.

Not really (I actually do believe it), but we've been lied to some much it's hard to know what to believe anymore sometimes.

Questioning the propaganda doesn't equal a defense of the enemy, and it's kinda insulting that you would infer as much.

12. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sorry if you were insulted. But the "This is Propaganda" line never comes up when it comes to US troop movements. You have to see that.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah so they're in their "last throes" eh?

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Actually Karzai and others in the Afgan government have too much faith in the salvageability of their people. They also depend on too much on tribal authority and traditions. There's always a new crop of people convinced that the Taliban way could have been sucessful if only...

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What? Are you saying the Afghan people are not "salvageable"? :confused:
    So you were against the Afghanistan invasion from the beginning based upon this logic? Or is this a recent flash of insight?

Or are you just being contrary again?

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No, I was referring the taliban minded people. I've never heard of them cured of their ways by anything other than "lead poisoning".

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And you were against the invasion of Afghanistan because of your assertion that "There's always a new crop of people convinced that the Taliban way could have been sucessful if only... "?

Or did you support it despite knowing it was doomed to fail?

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The information stinks. Why didn't the guy and his family abandon the house? I would think that if someone is setting up rocket launchers on your roof, it would behoove a person to leave.

There's obviously a difference between defending the taleban and criticising the sources that the news orgs use to make their sensationalist headlines. Or for that matter, the propagana that has been fed them by the US.