Talk about HOT processors. . .

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rikers_mailbox, Jul 3, 2004.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

I was spinning this whole delay for the iMac G5s, and finally decided this is really good. Let me explain. . .

Apple has touted that the G5s are hot. Yes, we all understand this now. They are hard to cool, and it takes REALLY special/good design to keep them cool and functioning. OK, fine. I mean, Apple is even using liquid cooling now!! It must be pretty tough to keep these newer, faster, smaller processors running. Apple's gone so far as to contol the fans, and monitor CPU temps via software.

In other words; Hardware and Software design and integration is essential for heat management of newer, faster, and hotter processors.

Would you agree with this statement?

2. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

"YES"

Yes! I buy that.

I mean, all the media-intensive content and complex OSs get processor hungry, and it's only getting worse! I think more so than ever that in this game, the faster processor wins. More computing means more performance to play with. . . better graphics, smoother interface, more memory. (think how crazy Expose would have looked 5 years ago!) i

It's going to get alot harder to keep the operating system designed independantly from hardware due to the demands placed on the "system" (aka hardware and software). Good thing Apple is ahead of. . ahem, the others.

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

NO WAY!

That's dumb. Processors don't really get that HOT! Apple is too dramatic, and makes a big deal out of it like they do everything else. (OOH, look at this mind-blowing, industry first two button Apple mouse!) Dell, HP, Intel, whoever. . they'll all just keep cranking out machines that need to be fed Windows, and Apple will remain a niche player.

Longhorn is gonna ROCK!

4. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

You know, replying to your own statement, and thinking that you will fool people, will not get you liked on these forums.

5. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I heard that G5 PowerBooks are coming out next week.

6. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just getting conversation started. . . not trying to fool anyone. sorry.

which side are you?

7. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

it's all a fever dream. go back to bed now....thats what im doing.... :confused: ;)

9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The .09µ process presented a challenge unforseen before theyre introduction: they were some hot mofos. Apple did what they had to do to cool such hot processors. While Im sure fans could do it (fans can cool the Prescott), Apple just wanted a cool water cooling system to leave no room for error and to keep the G5 quiet (imagine 9 fans running full blast to cool 2 100+W processors).

And as for that point about Dell and all those companies "cranking out", they dont use .09µ chips (Prescott) in many of their models, they use .13µ chips (AMD chips, all the rest of the P4's). So thats why they can 'crank out".

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yes, Longhorn will resemble a rock. It will finally be the last straw that sinks the MS titanic.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

lol, only if they drop legacy support. The only thing holding MS together right now. I'd say 30% or more current MS users would switch to Mac or Linux if they had to update all their existing software. The biggest selling point of Windows is that you can basically buy any software from say 95 and run it on a current machine.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm on the "NO WAY" side. Actually, powerbook G4 processors get extremely hot - ask experts on the forum for specifics - but all the people complaining about burning their laps from using their powerbooks are complaining because the Powerbook is hot, not the processor. Powerbooks/iBooks have never had a sufficient way to let air flow into the system and then out of it, so heat gets trapped inside the systems. That alone causes problems, because too much heat can melt out some of the components. Somebody told me a while back that Apple originally tried to make Powerbook G4s based on the Powerbook G3 style, but the frame actually melted from the heat of the G4. Point is: Proper hardware is the essential component of portables that don't overheat (or melt). [​IMG]

The iBooks never had that problem, because the G3s never ran that hot. Also, the current G4s in iBooks don't run as hot as the Powerbook models, so you don't hear too many complaints about people burning themselves on an iBook. - The people that do complain probably complain about the heat that the iBook exhibits from overworking the DVD player. [​IMG]

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Polycarbonate also doesnt conduct quite as much heat as metal does.