Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I really want to buy an iPod, but can't convince myself that I would use it enough to justify it. I would use it in the car for sure, and may use it when lifting weights. I can't really think of any other times I would use it. When does everybody use theirs? Talk me into it please.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
I use it all the time.

I also love my iTrip because I can play music in any car with my friends and such.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm getting my wife a new 40GB one for her upcoming 40th birthday. She'll use it in the car and while working out as well, but I also plan to get a speaker set-up (Creature speakers, maybe?) so she can use the ipod as a stereo anywhere she wants around the house.

Plus, I've wanted an iPod for a seeming eternity. She bought me a crappy MP3 player years ago. I'm hoping to use the new 'pod as well.

She'd probably prefer a mini, maybe, but they're too hard to get ahold of.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Not to rain on your parade. And although i know you didn't ask for it. But i have a 3g ipod. And i am quite disappointed. It is a mediocre piece of equipment. It has a too high price, too low quality and too little functions.

If it were 100-150 bucks, i'd be a nice toy, now it's an overpriced gizmo with inferior (technical)design and little appllication. In the 4g it is supposed to be better, but still i find the 10 hours too little. It didn't seem to me to be short but i've used it for 6 months, it's a real drawback.

I know it's a single experience, but even if it functioned like apple claims, in my opinion it isn't worth it's money.

Goodluck in descidining

Cuckoo

(and again, im not here to start a flame war, im not here to defend my point, you might take in in concideration, and if you descide to buy one, you'll at least know and can be happy with the pod).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Cuckoo said:
Not to rain on your parade. And although i know you didn't ask for it. But i have a 3g ipod. And i am quite disappointed. It is a mediocre piece of equipment. It has a too high price, too low quality and too little functions.

If it were 100-150 bucks, i'd be a nice toy, now it's an overpriced gizmo with inferior (technical)design and little appllication. In the 4g it is supposed to be better, but still i find the 10 hours too little. It didn't seem to me to be short but i've used it for 6 months, it's a real drawback.

I know it's a single experience, but even if it functioned like apple claims, in my opinion it isn't worth it's money.

Goodluck in descidining

Cuckoo

(and again, im not here to start a flame war, im not here to defend my point, you might take in in concideration, and if you descide to buy one, you'll at least know and can be happy with the pod).

There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion! I'm interested in it as a Mac accessory - using as a boot drive, etc. My wife probably couldn't care less which player she gets. And, yes, it's pricey. But less so than a month ago!

nina

macrumors member
May 27, 2004
It has changed the way I listen to music.

Previously, I was only a casual music listener - I purchased CDs very rarely, and the extent of my listening was the radio. I was actually a little resistant to my parents spending so much money on this silly music player for my birthday. But after installing it on my PC (this was even pre-iTunes - a 2G 10GB), I was immediately hooked.

Since then, I have used it almost every single day. I'm a student, so I do a fair bit of walking every day. It has accompanied me every day - I can't imagine leaving the house without it.

Then, iTunes came along - the addiction grows! It's simply the best music management software I've ever used! I'm obssessed with Smart Playlists and Play Counts - cool little features like those that make the experience so much more organic (I dunno - I can't think of a better word for it right now).

However, I should add a tiny little disclaimer to this post. I have always made sure that my iPod has the newest music on it. If you're buying CDs or tracks off of the ITMS, it's a cost you should think about. Unless you're a little savvy with the internet.

All in all, I love my iPod, and the day it dies, I will go out and by another one right away. I can't offer any higher praise than that - I will always have an iPod on me! :p

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
With all due respect...?

Cuckoo said:
Not to rain on your parade. And although i know you didn't ask for it. But i have a 3g ipod. And i am quite disappointed. It is a mediocre piece of equipment. It has a too high price, too low quality and too little functions. If it were 100-150 bucks, i'd be a nice toy, now it's an overpriced gizmo with inferior (technical)design and little appllication. In the 4g it is supposed to be better, but still i find the 10 hours too little. It didn't seem to me to be short but i've used it for 6 months, it's a real drawback.

Not to fuel the fans of a flame war, but with all due respect, and just to understand where exactly this is coming from, what's your opinion of "inferior technical design"?

I just feel as if I must defend such a revolutionary device. We know now that each iPod costs about $120 just to put together. The fact that they cost about $300 isn't a huge mark-up. Think of the fact that a car costs about $1200 to make (not counting R&D, but just in parts). Think of a bag of popcorn at a movie theatre and the fact that about 8 cents of corn and 2 cents of engergy and butter somehow cost you $5. That's mark-up.

As for "technical" design, the battery issues were uncalled for. They should have been accepted and fixed free of charge, like the iBook Logic Board issue. However, that shouldn't detract from the fact that Apple basically invented an entirely new form factor and way of listening to music. It's as revolutionary as the telegraph and radio. The technology is still in it's first generation, regardless of a new generation of form factor.

All that being said, I can completely understand being "underwhelmed" by the iPod or any technology for that matter. I just wanted to give my side to the recent "Devil's Advocacy", which is rocking, especially in a world where the iPod has become so ubiqitous with hip-ness.

N.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Well, i can eleborate. The four buttons function on and off, sometimes it doesn't react, sometimes i have to touch a button for like 5 times before it responds (and no, it isn't keylocked). Sometimes the Ipod 'hangs', which means as much as it plays what it is playing, but i can't make it stop, i can't turn it off or anything, a reset doens't help either. What does hit the spot is connect it to my powerbook, then it usually restarts.
And last, it turns itself off with a very light hit. I don't know how to put it in english, but the ipod is often in my jacket and at the smallest hit, it shuts off, and please understand, im not abusing, but i do walk around, and occasionally it hits a door or somethign, and it always shut down.

Well, these are my experiences and these -for me- facts have led me to the conclusion that it's technical inferior, overpriced and mediocre.

Cuckoo

edit: spelling

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Cuckoo said:
Well, i can eleborate. The four buttons function on and off, sometimes it doesn't react, sometimes i have to touch a button for like 5 times before it responds (and no, it isn't keylocked). Sometimes the Ipod 'hangs', which means as much as it plays what it is playing, but i can't make it stop, i can't turn it off or anything, a reset doens't help either. What does hit the spot is connect it to my powerbook, then it usually restarts.
And last, it turns itself off with a very light hit. I don't know how to put it in english, but the ipod is often in my jacket and at the smallest hit, it shuts off, and please understand, im not abusing, but i do walk around, and occasionally it hits a door or somethign, and it always shut down.

Well, these are my experiences and these -for me- facts have led me to the conclusion that it's technical inferior, overpriced and mediocre.

Cuckoo

edit: spelling

Or that yours is broken and you should get it replaced. :)

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Fuchal said:
Or that yours is broken and you should get it replaced. :)

Well, it is at apple at the moment. And it's being looked at. The person on the phone told me that there wasn't probably much they could do about it. Since she (thus apple) concidered it to be normal operating behaviour, and she (apple) implied more or less that or A i was abusing the ipod or B i am unreasable.
For the time being, i hope i get my pod repaird and that it closely functions as apple has promised me. If not, I've got time and patience.

Ah well, i do have an advantage, i am in no hurry, and i can't be disappointed by it's performance....

noahsnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Los Angeles
I second the motion...

Not to sound redundant, but the issues you describe seem symtomatic of a broken iPod as opposed to an "inferior" machine or imperfect technology.

I've had my share of hardships with Apple over the past year, which included five trips for my iBook and an eventual replacement with very nice perks. They looked out for me and appreciated my decade of service. I eventually had to go to the "Corporate Level", but such is life when dealing with corporations.

Not that your looking for advice, but I can only say that new technologies, especially ones that are so unique to one company (while others make MP3 players, no one else makes an iPod), are often imperfect. That's not an excuse, and we (the consumers) often get the "short end of the stick". The fact is, Apple users are offered an ethos that goes along with their purchases, and that's why Apple users are so loyal, if they decide to adopt that ethos.

If I were you, I'd politely fight for my iPod, even to the corporate level. The fact is, you purchased a device that should, so long as it's under warranty, work perfectly and at specification.

Cheers,
N.

bigsteve3

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
IL
nina said:
It has changed the way I listen to music.

Previously, I was only a casual music listener - I purchased CDs very rarely, and the extent of my listening was the radio. I was actually a little resistant to my parents spending so much money on this silly music player for my birthday. But after installing it on my PC (this was even pre-iTunes - a 2G 10GB), I was immediately hooked.

Since then, I have used it almost every single day. I'm a student, so I do a fair bit of walking every day. It has accompanied me every day - I can't imagine leaving the house without it.

Then, iTunes came along - the addiction grows! It's simply the best music management software I've ever used! I'm obssessed with Smart Playlists and Play Counts - cool little features like those that make the experience so much more organic (I dunno - I can't think of a better word for it right now).

However, I should add a tiny little disclaimer to this post. I have always made sure that my iPod has the newest music on it. If you're buying CDs or tracks off of the ITMS, it's a cost you should think about. Unless you're a little savvy with the internet.

All in all, I love my iPod, and the day it dies, I will go out and by another one right away. I can't offer any higher praise than that - I will always have an iPod on me! :p

I will second that! I bought a used first gen 10GB iPod from Powermax.com and wondered if it was worth it (and it was only $169). I didn't listen to music much (except on my computer), and I didn't buy CDs. Since then, I pretty much use it anytime I am not extremely busy, and I listen to songs every night in my bed before I fall asleep. It works great for running, and it charges FAST. Earlier today I decided to purchase a new 20GB one from Apple, and I'm selling the old one on eBay. Although I like the new click wheel, I will miss the first gen design. Viva la scroll wheel!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.