Talk Show Host Calls Nick Berg's Father a "Scumbag"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ain't this fun, folks?

ONE WEEK after release of the shocking video showing the beheading of Nick Berg, the political battle for the soul of the slain West Chester man rages on.

Yesterday, a new, liberal-leaning media-criticism Web site, Media Matters for America, called attention to comments about Berg's father, Michael, by a Philadelphia-based, nationally syndicated talk-radio host, Glenn Beck.

The group listens to conservative talkers all day and then posts what it considers to be outlandish comments.

It highlighted comments Beck made Friday, when he called anti-war activist Michael Berg "a scumbag" for blaming his son's death - at the hands of unknown terrorists - on the Bush administration.

"I'm beginning to question, you know, 'Can you let your son's body become the same temperature as your son's head before you turn this into a political campaign against the president - could you do that?' " Beck said on the show, heard locally on The Big Talker, 1210-AM.

"I find this guy [Michael Berg] despicable. Everything in me says that... I think he is grieving, but I think he's a scumbag as well. I don't like this guy at all."

Beck said last night that he didn't get more complaints than usual about his Michael Berg comments, and he has no second thoughts about what he said. He added that, as time passes, "I think public opinion will grow closer and closer to mine."​

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/breaking_news/8693451.htm?1c

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Let me summarize:

An idiot talk show host called Nick Berg's father a Scumbag for blaming Georgie for his son's death.

This comment (an example of idiocy) was made more public by a liberal media source (I was beginning to wonder if there were any around anymore) which does this on a regular basis.

I think that is what the above says.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, that's correct. And when he was called on his massively crude and insensitive remarks, Beck essentially redoubled. Apparently he thinks he's in the avant guarde of crudeness and insensitivity, and it's only a matter of time before everyone else is dragging their knuckles. Now, there's a bold vision for a better America.

Actually, this is just one of a piece. We could easily start an entire thread on these scary monsters of the right.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Since Conservative Howard Stern has now become Liberal (in some ways) Howard Stern I guess someone has to take his place...

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another recent quote from that leading scary monster, Michael Savage:

Look the enemy is taking advantage of America’s moral code. America is being exploited by their own -- or they’re being hung by the petard of civil rights and human rights. …The problem is the Liberals in this country and the -- the gooney birds at the UN are arguing that the terrorists are not combatants but only criminals, and therefore we’re not allowed to drop a bomb on them. ... There is no greater friend of Al*Qaeda than the ACLU. There is no greater friend of Al*Qaeda than Human Rights Watch. There is no greater friend of Al*Qaeda than the National Lawyers Guild. And if we don’t understand that they would use their power if they had it then we’re really crazy.​

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I will say this. I think that the guy has every right to morn the loss of his son. However, to blame the administration is short sighted. The man was not in the military, he was there by his own choice. He was offered a flight out of the country. He chose to be there. All of us in the world know right now the risks that are involved by going there.

I just think the man was lashing out because of the death of his son, and that is fine.

Now, I personally think the talk show host was a morron for choosing the choice of words that he did, but I do agree that it is a foolish notion to blame the administration for his son's death.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Why? If it wasn't for Georgie's desire to go and play cops and robbers in Iraq his son would have never been there... When you use your power to take people into an illegal and unwarranted war you *are* to blame for these things.

8. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

His son was not in the military and, therefore, was never forced to go to Iraq. Sure if the war had never happened he may never had gone over there, but that doesn't meant that because it did happen he should have gone.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I suppose he ought to blame the people who did the deed first and foremost, but I can hardly imagine what the Berg family must be going through right now. It's impossible for me to wrap my mind around the concept of having a son murdered in such a horrific public spectacle on the other side of the world, only have some cold, heartless SOB on the radio back home throw your expressions of grief back into your face.

And since we seem to be asking ourselves who condemns what -- where are the condemnations for these radio hoodlums?

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I might be wrong, but I believe that when Mr. Berg criticized the administration, it was not for the war in general but specifically for their actions in regards to his son.

In particular I think he was upset that the late Mr. Berg missed his scheduled flight out of Iraq because the US had him detained.

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, this is a subject of debate. The US says they never detained him, that the Iraqi's did. And, you have to admit the way he has a strange connection to Mossaoui, then he shows up in Iraq with a Tora, etc. Just odd, so they checked him out. If they had not, and the guy was a terrorist and had killed 50 people, then we would all be bent out of shape.

Actually the stuff I have heard was that he was denouncing the war, and the administration on all levels.

IJ, Sean Hannity blasted the guy who said that about Berg's Dad today, and said the guy has every right to feel any way he chooses too, but basically said what I did that his pain is steering his retoric right now, and rightfully so.

Neserk, not wanting to steel the thread, and it you think it will, please start another and I will respond, but how exactly was the war illegal?

12. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Wasn't his son in Iraq to partake in the lucrative rebuilding contracts and jobs? He was a telecommunications expert, who had some knowledge of the language as well. He probably made more money than the guy on television saying 'Can you hear me now?'

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes, he was, but that still doesn't mean that the father doesn't have the right to lash out.

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

The father should lash out at the 5 that were in the same room as his son was when he was killed. He'd get more satisfaction that way.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Beck should apologize. It's indefensible to attack someone like Micheal Berg right now. Anything Berg says now comes from a places of pain and grief and rage, and shouldn't be the fodder for some right-wing talk show host with microphone-envy of Limbaugh to try and out-outrage the rest of the AM dial.

On a side note, it's quite amazing the level of hate these radio guys spew, just in general. Limbaugh calls torture a 'fraternity prank' yet he is outraged by the Berg murder? How partisan can you be? And, as has been noted by others, nary a word is said by the FCC. And it is bought wholsale by a group who has managed to convince themselves that they are the only unbiased source of news in the world! This while Disney will proudly carry Limbaugh but won't distribute Farenheit 9/11 because it might be controversial...

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I can say this, the pictures of the Iraq "torture", I got worse than that when I was a pledge at my Fraternity. Seriously. It is wrong, and it should be punished, but torture? Like I said, I went through far worse as a pledge.

So, when Rush is outraged by the Berg killing. yea, there is a huge difference.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Were you sodomized with a blunt instrument at your Fraternity? Doused with cold water, chained to a wall, and left outside in the winter by your Fraternity? Heard of any pledges being beaten to death by your Fraternity?

18. JamesDPS macrumors regular

I just got a strong image of Jeff Bridge's character in The Fisher King there....

It is understandable that the father would lash out at every conceivable person or group to blame for his son's death - I would do the same, it is a natural emotional response - and to call him a scumbag is deplorable, goes without saying. It's also truly indicative of the mindset that anyone who questions Bush, his administration, or national policies, "hates America" and is open to any kind of abuse.... this talk show host sounds like he's in the same category as the likes of Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly.... shameful. Either that, or he's just really good at getting attention without consideration for other people, a la Fisher King...

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Hmmm.

No, Yes, Yes, Yes, No. Also, forced to clean the bathroom with Muratic Acid. Forced to sleep in vomit. Forced into Elephant walks, Forced into Bones and Toes.

Yea, it was other than the sodomy pretty equal to or worse than what they went through over there.

As for the beatings. That is totally uncalled for, and what, 10 or 20 out of thousands. There are mistakes made in everything in life, but what happened to Berg is totally different.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You had a choice about your fraternity experience. You could have chosen to not go through with it, unlike a prisoner. Also, I'm sure your experiences weren't prolonged, nor did you have a view of that situation being unending until your will broke. You knew if you toughed it out, you'd come out on the other side.

As for the beatings. That is totally uncalled for, and what, 10 or 20 out of thousands. There are mistakes made in everything in life, but what happened to Berg is totally different.[/QUOTE]

So if thousands of our citizens were captured, and only a handful were killed you'd view that as an OK deal?

And besides, do you think what I mentions is the complete list of horrors that have occured?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not sure the "i've had it worse" discussion is the one to have. i'm more interested if the Geneva Convention was violated. however, if *you* were the one captured by enemy troups and subjected to all the things you've described in your fraternity hazing, would you be so quick to brush it off?

i'm guessing we've seen only the tip of the iceberg.

22. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is a catch 22. Really it is. If they captured Al-Zaqari (SP?) we know he has massive amounts of info. So what do we do? Do we torture him to get it? If it saves the lives of thousands of people?

I have no correct answer to the question. And I am not pretending to be more mighty than anyone, but there is a distinct difference between Berg's violent killing, and the mistreatment of the Iraqi POW's. Were we wrong. Yep. definately, was Al-Zaqari wrong. Oh, yea, on a whole new plain.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Torture is counterproductive to interrogation. It hardens your target in the best of cases.

24. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Sounds like the sort of defense a torturer would use, when asked to explain how he could do such things to other people.

"it's not my fault, it's how I was brought up"

Did you find this abuse "character building"?

25. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Maybe we should tell the Saudis/Egyptians that they are doing it all wrong, that torture isn't supposed to work.