"Talkathon" - Democratic filibuster of judicial nominees

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rower_CPU, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this.

link

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: "Talkathon" - Democratic filibuster of judicial nominees

yeah, we'd all just get into an argument about it

;-)

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: "Talkathon" - Democratic filibuster of judicial nominees

Ha! It's still newsworthy. :p

Personally, I'm happy they were able to stick to their guns and show some solidarity in shutting down these nominations.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah it's funny to hear the Republic types gripe about the 4 nominations that haven't gotten through yet. Should they be surprised when their own lack of confirmation history comes to light? This is just an escalation of a fight that continues from the last administration.

5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I don't blame the GOP for the whining about Dem "obstruction" -- party sentiment like that comes from the top. This originates from W. (Consider his own comment that there "should be some way to force a vote" in the Senate -- total failure to understand both Senate process and separation of powers.)

And it's not a surprise either. W has spent his entire life ignoring the rules -- we can't really be shocked that he wants to ignore this one too.

The good news is that W is finally learning about how you can't always just ignore the rules. Sometimes, the rules apply.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

okay, here's the best part. the reps were bitching about democrats forcing this to go on, so they went to the strom thurmond room to hold the press conference... thurmond, of course, being the man who once filabustered singlehandedly for something like 24 hours 16 minutes to defeat a civil rights bill. his record still stands. the more i think about that one, the more i laugh.

:)
    pnw

7. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

I forsee a changing of the senate rules by the republican majority to ban filabustering. It will come when the senate is on recess.

8. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Majority rules again, eh, even at the expense of democracy?

I would be very curious to hear your opinion if the roles were reversed.

9. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

The republicans of the past decade have been a particularly nasty bunch. Shutting down the government with Gingrich, calling the cops to remove Democrats who disagreed, banning the Dems from the committee meetings, drafting and revising the legislation when nobody is looking, and all kinds of dirty little tricks.
    This is what happens when you get fundamentalists in power, they believe so much in their dogma that the rules don't matter anymore.

10. mactacular macrumors newbie

this does not make sense. if the rules change in congress to disallow filabustering would not the democratic process be working. Is not democracy driven by the majority. If the majority destroys democracy "in your mind", should the minority rule. That would be chaos.

11. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

The government was designed to work under a system of checks and balances to not only keep the branches in check, but to keep an extremist group from seizing all the power. The republicans only want to make these changes when they have the power. Let us not forget that the republicans kept dozens of Clinton judicial nominees from ever reaching the confirmation process. Also the four judges being fillibustered are the most extreme of the extreme and should not ever have been considered for these positions unless someone wanted them in their for pure idealogical reasons.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No it won't. There are still enough Republican senators there from the days when the Democrats were in charge, and they will be loath to give up the one thing that they could use to have clout in the minority. The wise ones know the pendulum swings both ways, and that they won't be in the majority forever.