TalkTalk broadband, Speedtouch 330 and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by afr, Sep 25, 2006.

1. afr macrumors newbie

TalkTalk have this odd habit of hanging up when you start asking questions related to Macs (I'm not kidding!), so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

OK, I've just moved over to TalkTalk and they've given me a SpeedTouch 330 modem - which I can connect via a USB cable to my Mac - but can't seem to go wireless.

I used to be with BT Broadband and could go wireless using my Airport Express and the BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router.

How do I go wireless with TalkTalk? Can anyone walk me through? I'm assuming I can still use the same hardware (the router and airport) but I must be entering the details incorrectly in the network preferences. I'm on OSX 10.4.7.

Thanks
    AFR

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Have you still got the Voyager router? If so, connect using that - go into the browser settings and change your BT log-in information to the Talktalk username/password.

The Speedtouch, being USB, won't plug into your Airport Express in any useful way.

3. afr thread starter macrumors newbie

Browser settings?

Thanks for getting back to me so soon...

I've looked everywhere on Safari (2.0.4) - I go to Preferences and the only info that comes up is for advanced settings (universal access, style sheets and proxies) that's it. There's no where for me to change the BT information.

I looked on Firefox and Internet Explorer and I can't find anywhere to change the browser settings as you advised.

Is there somewhere else that I should be looking? Should I be looking in System Preferences?

Thanks
    AFR

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry... was obviously being unclear.

Your router will have a local address on your network - it's usually listed in your manual which you type into the address bar of the browser (rather than going into Preferences).

It should ask you for a username/password which unless you've changed it in the past will be something like Admin and Password. And from there, you'll go in and make the account changes.

I did Google for to find out what your Voyager's local IP address would be and came across this thread in a PC forum which covers how to set your Voyager up from BT to TalkTalk... :D So try that and then you should just be able to plug the ethernet into your Airport Express and configure that.

5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I friend at work has had the same problem.

Bottom line is....ask for them to supply you with the Belkin wireless router they support. They gave my mate £20 off the router as they dont supply drivers for the usb modem on 10.4. They did say that they support 10.3 but when he tried the drivers they still didnt work.