Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
It's Christmas... that means toys :D so I've just discovered that Tamiya have reissued the classic 'The Hornet' RC Car from '84 :eek: :D

Now any guy worth their salt in their mid/late 20's should recognise this bad boy from their youth, if you didn't own one, then you likely knew someone who did. ;)

It's pretty much as the original was, but Tamiya have seen fit to replace the old 3 Step Mechanical Speed Controller with an electronic one. But considering that Tamiya still produce cars with the old mechanical one, if you wanted it as per the original, I reckon it'd be an easy mod.

If this is a sucess I wonder if Tamiya will reissue other classics from the same period??

Frog
Grasshopper
Boomerang
Hotshot I and II
Lunch Box
Monster Beetle
Porsche 959
Supershot

and the list quite literally goes on and on...

The Hornet

and

For other classic Tamiya cars

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
I remember a couple of years ago, I was soo addicted to RC cars. I had a T-Maxx, and i thought i was king. I wish they would bring back more retro vehicles, and i think the super beetle has already been brought back.

kyle

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Kick-***, I had one and loved it. A friend of mine graduated to gas-powered RC cars, but the Hornet was my first and only.

1984...good God, has it been THAT long? :eek:

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
always wanted an RC car, never had one :(

heck it was only last year i bought my first Scalextric!!!! :eek:

the kid across the street from me had a Hornet (maybe it was the grasshopper) and I was dead jealous, but then he also got things like the Hornby Zero One and a Muddy Fox bike, wanker.

that is very cool though, maybe i'll finally get an RC car :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I never had a RC car, used to fly planes for a while, then got a helicopter with my dad. It was a complete bastard to fly though, and needed re-building on many occasions.

At least losing it with a car only results in chipped paint.... :eek:

I think it finally died about 10 years ago after a particularly nasty power-dive into the 14th on the local golf course, we had to dig it out of the turf.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I never had an RC car. I was of the generation that had Tonka trucks, made of metal. They were very well built, nothing real fancy though.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
i had the fox(2wd) and the supershot(4wd).
I loved those things. I was like the envy of all my buddies.
I upgraded both engines with reedy modifieds, which was
supposed to be a 'fast' engine. Anyway, i still have them somewhere.
I'd have to update the batteries to get them running no doubt.

fox.jpg

supershot.jpg

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Cool!!

I had a Grasshopper, too. I remeber building it with my dad in 1985. Increadibly, I still think it's in my old closet at my folks house. Wonder if it would still work (with new batteries)?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I made a Rover Mini Cooper last fall...pretty cool little machine — with a few 'select' modifications I have it cranking out about 30mph. Seen here pre-paint on some particularly horrid indoor-outdoor carpet.

mini0wn.jpg

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Wow, that's awesome! I had a Monster Beetle in my younger years--I would definitely buy one if they released it again. :D

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
I had the Hornet, then Frog, then the Hotshot II. I actually bought an expensive petrol RC/car about two years ago but nothing is a fun as it was when you were a kid :)

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Real life videogames! This thread brought back memories.

Back at my parent's house I have a Radio Shack "White Tiger Turbo Buggie" that I played with endlessly as a kid. My friend had this Speed Tank thing that was awesome. But they both used 27.4Mhz or whatever. So we couldn't use them together.

If I have kids someday, they're gonna have some sweet RC cars. And I'm gonna make them beat all my old Super Nintendo games before I'll buy them a Playstation 4.

jmoore1247

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2009
RC Hornet

I wonder if this is still active. I had one of these cars back in 1985 and seem to have lost it in a move or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.