Tamiya reissue the classic 'Grasshopper' and 'Lunchbox' RC Cars

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 5, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK, any idea of somewhere in London that will be stocking these and has decent service. I might well buy one next month!

3. bartelby macrumors Core

They bring back memories!

My mate had the Lunchbox and it took him a day to build it and 4 days to do a paint job.
    He took it into the street for a test drive, drove it across the road and it was promptly run over by a learner driver who didn't even stop!

4. mpw Guest

I worked for a while in a model shop and built dozens of those babies for customers.
    Grasshoppers, Hornets, Toyota Celica and my favorite was the big VW Beetle who's name I forget right now. Happy memories......7mins. at a time!

I wonder how much they're going to be and what the battery life is going to be now-a-days, surely they can get more out of a modern battery than 7-8mins.

One of the guys I worked with who was a real whizz with this stuff once joined a local club with RC boats on a local reservoir. The other members all had fancy steamboats and yachts and looked down on his little boat (it was his first boat after many, many cars). He got so pissed at their snobbery he removed the polycarbonate body and replaced it with various surreal items like rubber ducks, bread-bins and a toaster. He was chucked out of their club!

5. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Cool - I've still got a 'Midnight Pumpkin' (variant of Vanessa's Lunchbox) sat on the side behind me. Bit battered from years of mis-use :p but does bring back the memories of being ickle :)

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Hamleys will probably sell them, as they stock Tamiya... probably pay a bit of a premium though. I think Hobby Store's up in Camden (on Parkway) stocks Tamiya stuff as well, if they haven't got it in then they'll likely be able to order it.

Alternatively, do what I do and use the daddy, Modelsport and get them to post it down. ;)

The insane thing about the Lunchbox is that is just used to wheelie everywhere... :eek: :p

That'll be the Monster Beetle then ;)

20-25 easily if you run the stock 540 with a 3300 NiMh pack. I used to get 15-20 with a dual motor TXT-1 :D

Forgot to say... Modelsport are selling the Grasshopper at £69 the Lunchbox at £79... and The Hornet is £79. Which if memory serves is in the same ballpark as they were back in the 1980's. :D

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah, we never really got to find that out.
    It did have all 4 tyres on the road for the 20 seconds it moved for though.

8. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I still bring out my Monster Beetle every once in a while. I bought new battery packs last year or so and had it running like a top. A while back, I put a racing engine in it, so when it runs, it goes like a scalded cat! Lots of fun, I'm looking forward to introducing my 2 year old son to it in a few years.

Hmmm...if they've reissued the Monster Beetle, I should be able to get a few miscellaneous replacement parts.... the shell, the support posts. Maybe I could actually do a decent paint job on the shell this time....

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have the Hornet as a kid. In fact I still have it with the Futaba controller and charger. It still works great.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Brilliant! I had a Grasshopper when I was a kid, would love to get one now :cool: :D

11. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I was so jealous when one of my best friends got a Monster Beetle. His mam always took tons of things like that home from Taiwan. I was stuck with a nikko race buggy (i understand this is more a toy compared to Tamiya). To make up i sprayed it yellow and put some black panther marks on. :cool:
    It still didn't wheel though :eek: :D

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They even use ripped off OSX folder icons :)

13. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Wow, the Grasshopper was my first RC car! That thing was crazy fun. The best thing about it was if you lost a king pin or something, no matter, anything will do (such as a bent up paper clip). My favorite mod was putting screws up through the inside of the tire (so they point out). Man, with those tires, the 'hopper took on a menacing appearance as it threw sparks and terrified the neighborhood cats/dogs/etc. Went through gear boxes like crazy. Good times.