Tammy Faye Messner dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rdowns, Jul 22, 2007.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Hahaha. That beats MACDRIVE for #1 random thread. Here's more news: my neighbour's sister-in-law's cat died. :D Here's even more news: not everyone who comes by here is

A) American,
    B) a religious nut, or
    C) both

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

She's still a human being who had to live with terminal cancer. Is it really necessary to make fun of her death?

4. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I was referring to the fact that the poster just assumed everyone else here was American and knew who he was talking about. The Internet goes outside America. Believe me, if everyone here reported a death - however unpleasant it was - there'd be hundreds every day.

5. macrumors Core

MacNut

I caught a glimpse of the Larry King interview and it was very sad to see what she looked like. She was suffering for over 10 years, kinda shocked that she lasted as long as she did.

For the record I think more people know who she is as Tammy Faye Bakker.

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a mega echo. I first clicked on here some time ago and there wasn't a relpy, or text, just a link. Would have been nice if there was some info.

7. macrumors G5

yg17

My mom was watching her on LK thursday night and I made some comment like "Looks like she's going to drop dead any minute now." And Friday, she died. Sorta freaky I guess....

8. macrumors 68000

Bern

I thought she died a long time ago... beaten to death by a mob of angry makeup artists???

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Thank you for pointing that out. From now on, let's please avoid any thread topics which are not universally known.

In fact, that'll make things a not easier, as we can just get rid of the "New Thread" buttons. :rolleyes:

I agree that more info would have been nice in the original post. I also think that she was fairly well known, and CNN and BBC's UK site both mentioned it.

10. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Yowz, colon cancer that spread to her lungs. My family has a history of colon cancer and colonoscopies are no picnic.

11. thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My bad. Obviously hit the post button before I added the description I wrote.

Never mind.

12. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Apologies to all. My post was out of line. :(

13. macrumors 603

solvs

Why did I have a feeling this thread would go like this? Actually, I almost expected it to be worse. I'm sure it will be tomorrow.

Anyway, I think we've all known someone who has had cancer. It's not pleasant. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I certainly had a problem with her back in her Bakker days (though more her husband at the time) but from what I later learned about her, she didn't seem quite as bad. She actually turned out to be a fairly nice person. I don't want to send this to the political forums, so I won't get too specific, but in her later work she seemed more sincere and less hypocritical than I would have imagined. Even supporting people and causes you wouldn't think someone like her would. It's hard to get over her complicity when she and her ex were televangeling, but you also can't ignore her later work, nor the good she's done. Nor the way she went.

I try never to be happy over any death, even the worst of us... especially those who die like this.

http://omnipotentpoobah.com/2007/07/22/rip-tammy-faye/
    http://yikes101.blogspot.com/search/label/In Memoriam
    http://www.mockpaperscissors.com/blog/?p=4700

14. macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Wait...

Some time ago I read on this very forum where Mr. Humphries ( a.k.a John Inman ) passed away.

Many Americans do not know who he was. There was no poster as crude as to dismiss his passing.

Max.

She did mention Hospis was called in. That is usually a death knell.

Max.

15. macrumors G5

leekohler

I actually found Tammy to be quite entertaining. I will miss her.

16. macrumors 6502a

teflon

I'm not religious nor watched any of her shows, but i have known about her fight with cancer, and her courage is to be admired. I remember hearing that even when she was 65 pounds and have difficulty moving, she went and put on make up when her friends visited her. Just a little detail that seemed inspiring at the time. She never gave up, and fought until the end. R.I.P Tammy.

17. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Watching Jim and Tammy Faye on TV became kind of a thing to do in college. Between the two of them, it really was a sort of surreal experience unlike anything else on the tube at the time. Not quite as all-out weird as Dr. Gene Scott at the height of his paranoia (whom we also watched), but strange just the same.

18. macrumors 68000

Silencio

She faced the end of her life with a lot of courage and dignity. I only hope I can be as strong if I ever have to face that.

19. macrumors 6502a

As a gay man who is spiritual (though not necessarily Christian), I watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye about a year ago and I learned a whole lot about this beautiful woman as a person and what she has been through and how she has changed and helped not only the GLBTQ community but a lot of people. She was ALWAYS confident to be herself and she LOVED everyone for who they were... I will always remember Tammy Faye and I hope that one day I can be a fraction as amazing as she was. Rest in peace, Tammy.

20. macrumors 6502a

true777

I have never heard of this person.

21. macrumors 603

solvs

Then why did you post?

22. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

When you serve god for money, you serve the devil. See you in Hell Tammy Faye.

23. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I guess a lot of people will be going there then...

I never watched her, but I've heard of her. May she rest in peace

24. macrumors newbie

So if a pastor gets paid for delivering a sermon every Sunday, is he serving the devil too?

25. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Not on account of his salary, but he's probably humping one of the congregation (according to my experience :eek:). If he's Catholic... well, read the papers... ;)