Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
If this really works out for them, think of the advantage and precision of plays they would have over the rest of the league. If they take this up in the booth with the OC, they could organize the gameplan on one surface and see thumbnails of the plays before the next one is called. Definitely speeds up the game.

michwags19

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
What app?

what app are they using to do all this? I am a football coach and would love to do something with the iPad.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wow. Finally there's news out of Tampa that doesn't make us look like idiots, statutory rapists, copkillers, or motorists guilty of manslaughter. Though to be fair, most of out population wasn't born here so maybe we just take the worst from everywhere else.

That said, this IS pretty cool.

Sweet! Josh Freeman, the Bucs QB, is my fantasy QB in one of my leagues this year. I hope this tech advantage results in increased production and more fantasy points. :D

Don't hold your breath. At this point, I'd bet the Lightning could beat the Bucs.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Would you rather hold a bulky laptop the whole game that would probably die before the game ended or a nice light iPad?

Maybe I'd rather hold a nice light laptop with 8 hours of battery life. ;)

1) Tap Settings
2) Tap General
3) Tap Restrictions
4) Tap "Enable Restrictions"
5) Enter Passcode
6) Confirm Passcode
7) Tap Accounts
8) Tap "Don't Allow Changes"

Those 8 steps will prevent anybody from disabling your "Find my iPad" without shutting down the device completely ...

Or

1) Tap Settings
2) Slide to On next to Airplane mode

:eek: Try to find your iPad now!

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
It is interesting that no one seems to ever mention the fact that the screen of an iPad is very difficult to see in the daytime sunlight. I have polarized sunglasses and have to take them completely off to see anything on my iPad and than it's just too bright to see anything at all on it.

It is great to see all these new uses for the iPad but what good is it if you can't see the screen when outside in the sun? How the hell are pilots going to be able to see the iPad? and used as a playbook for football teams? hello? how is this possible?

Apple needs to fix the screen so it can be easily read in the daytime sunlight and than I can actually believe all the hype I'm reading about all these new uses for the iPad.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
i know a lot of people will think I'm lying, but next time i see my cuz i will post some sort of screen shots. My older cuz is a scout for the Bucs. he started off as a grad assistant at University of Tennessee back in the late 90's when UT was one of the top teams in the nations. He came in for July 4th this year and showed me this on his iPad. instead of carrying around all of his scouting reports and tons of video, he keeps everything work related on his iPad. i thought this is awesome, of course the team gives them their own custom tailored app. this is a perfect example of what the iPad is perfect for.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Apple needs to fix the screen so it can be easily read in the daytime sunlight and than I can actually believe all the hype I'm reading about all these new uses for the iPad.

I don't have a problem with my iPhone, except for the polarized sunglasses part, but I just take them off—problem solved. It's plenty bright after that.

My older cuz is a scout for the Bucs. he started off as a grad assistant at University of Tennessee back in the late 90's when UT was one of the top teams in the nations.

Minor note: You should never mention the Bucs and call the University of Tennessee—or Texas—UT in the same paragraph. UT is the University of Tampa. They own ut.edu. That makes them the official UT. The internet says so. :D

nishioka

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Couldn't all of this be done before on a laptop? (airline pilots maps, these playbooks, etc)?

Yes, but the form factor offers some new applications. Ndamukong Suh ponied up a bunch of money to get iPads mounted in the locker room at the University of Nebraska so football coaches could communicate announcements and such to players. Giving the players iPads would have been a violation of NCAA rules; mounting them inside the locker makes them a facility amenity. You can't do that nearly as easily with a laptop.

Obviously this isn't an issue with pro football players, but the remote wipe feature comes in handy if somebody loses their iPad or doesn't turn it back in after they get cut/traded.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Some "toy", huh?

iPads are finding new roles every day, from the medical community, to airline industry, to sports industry, etc.

This was bound to happen, but a lot of the naysayers have all the imagination of buried rock.

I agree 100%. I'm so SICK of hearing people say the iPad is an overprice toy. Narrow minded idiots.

Frankly, I'm surprised we got all the way to post #12 in the thread before the iToy debate was even brought up. :p Know that I'm right there with you guys, though. I'm not sure when the definition of a "true computer" included complexity as a requirement. It reminds me when some techies as recent as ten years ago use to tell me any GUI interface was "a toy" and that, if I was going to use a computer, I should never stray from the CLI. Oh, brother! :rolleyes:

It is interesting that no one seems to ever mention the fact that the screen of an iPad is very difficult to see in the daytime sunlight. I have polarized sunglasses and have to take them completely off to see anything on my iPad and than it's just too bright to see anything at all on it.

You're neglecting the function of easier distribution of the playbook to players so they can memorize plays. Having an ultraportable device to carry plays around and reviewing by just swiping back and forth seems very advantageous. Also, updates can likely just be pushed.

As for visibility, there is film you can put over the screen to reduce glare, and you can use case covers to avoid sunlight.

p1030026.jpg

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
1) Tap Settings
2) Slide to On next to Airplane mode

:eek: Try to find your iPad now!

Aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! Never thought of that. Crud -- they really do need to make a way around disabling the "Find my iPad" feature!

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
I don't have a problem with my iPhone, except for the polarized sunglasses part, but I just take them off—problem solved. It's plenty bright after that.

Minor note: You should never mention the Bucs and call the University of Tennessee—or Texas—UT in the same paragraph. UT is the University of Tampa. They own ut.edu. That makes them the official UT. The internet says so. :D

haha, well, where i was born in knoxville, the only UT in the entire world is University of Tennessee! but point taken. i actually spoke with my cousin a little while ago when i sent him the link to this and it was actually in the news paper somewhere in tampa, don't know what the paper is called as i have never even visited tampa. Interesting, glad to see apple can make it in the NFL as well.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Well at least it offers some sort of protection.

If you had the old school binder full of plays and lost that what then? You have no options.

I think is a great idea. I bet more teams will follow suit in the coming years.

Exactly, unless they figure out a way to passcode protect a paper binder. LOL

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
haha, well, where i was born in knoxville, the only UT in the entire world is University of Tennessee! but point taken. i actually spoke with my cousin a little while ago when i sent him the link to this and it was actually in the news paper somewhere in tampa, don't know what the paper is called as i have never even visited tampa. Interesting, glad to see apple can make it in the NFL as well.

lol, I was just throwing that out there. I saw the headline too. I don't remember which one it was either. I think it was in the Tampa Tribune. The other major one is the St. Pete Times.

I was in Knoxville a month ago. It's a nice city, and it reminded me a lot of Tampa actually (except for those weird one lane underpasses :)).

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
1) Tap Settings
2) Tap General
3) Tap Restrictions
4) Tap "Enable Restrictions"
5) Enter Passcode
6) Confirm Passcode
7) Tap Accounts
8) Tap "Don't Allow Changes"

Those 8 steps will prevent anybody from disabling your "Find my iPad" without shutting down the device completely and then trying to extract the data by some other means. Requires a bit more expertise than thumbing through paper.

EDIT: As KnightWRX points out, putting the device in "Airplane Mode" will disable the "Find my iPhone" / "Find my iPad" feature. That stinks.

Not only that, but under IOS 5, even with restrictions for accounts set to "on", you can easily just go to the "location settings" pane and disable Find my iPhone.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see you can even restrict Location Settings. Still, Airplane mode kills it completely.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.