Tampering with the Commission?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Now does this constitute tampering with the 9/11 Commission?

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I see where you are going w/ this...is the SIC and their report (concerning the CIA) the same as the 9/11 commitee and their report though? I thought they were separate. If I am right, then no, I don't believe this potential action interferes w/ the 9/11 commitee, except indirectly in terms of what is common between the two reports. If I am wrong, then probably so, if only in the way mentioned by the article, being a deflection of attention from important and critical findings...

So me smart? Dumb as a post?

3. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Yes, the Senate Intelligence Committee and its report are different than the 9/11 Commission and its report. I'm not sure why you raise the difference. My point is isn't there a problem with offering a sitting Commissioner, of a Commission that is just about to issue a report that could have a profound impact on the reelection chances of the President, a prestigious and powerful position like the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency before the report is even issued? That raises questions of whether the administration is expecting some kind of conduct on Lehman's part in his votes regarding Commission findings and recommendations. If it is true that they have let him know he is under consideration, it sounds like tampering to me.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it certainly gives off an aroma of impropriety, which as i'm sure many of us recall, bush promised to avoid even the appearance of

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm sorry Sayhey, it was just poor reading on my part...although the article explicitly states that Lehman is a member of the 9/11 commission in the first paragraph, when I read on into the second, my brain somehow thought he was on the other one...oops.

So, now that I have (thanks to you) tackled my reading comprehension problem, I will try some analysis (be ready...).

Lehman himself seems a little dodgy to me...

On Sunday (June 20), John Lehman told NBC's "Meet the Press" that the members of the 9-11 Commission, on which he sits, has knowledge of documents captured in Iraq that "indicate that there is at least one officer of Saddam's Fedayeen, a lieutenant colonel, who was a very prominent member of al-Qaeda." Then he added, "That still has to be confirmed. We are now in the process of getting this latest intelligence." So to bring up an unproven assertion on National TV seems to give it some credence that it didn't deserve. Indeed, the next week, the commission's findings made no mention of such a credible link...also...

Lehman said in a recent speech to the U.S. Naval Institute that the U.S. response in virtually every case was a withdrawal, exactly what our enemies wanted us to do. "Osama bin Laden has cited this as one of his dawning moments," Lehman said. "The vaunted United States is a paper tiger, Americans are afraid of casualties, they run like cowards when attacked and they don't even bother to take their dead with them." Sounds like a Bush Doctrine guy to me..

And in a commission hearing in May in NYC Lehmanr called the city's response to the World Trade Center attack as "not worthy of the Boy Scouts." Not so nice...

He was also nominated to the commission by Trent Lott...

So, do I think Bush is tampering with the 9/11 commission? Yes and Yes. Yes, in the first place for the reasons you mentioned Sayhey...

Yes, in the second place, because I think Bush and or the GOP positioned him on this commission knowing full well what conclusions they would eventually come to...I believe it is called "hedging your bet"...so they could dump Tenet and possibly install someone from an "independent commitee" to remedy the problems that commission found, although their choice of replacement is even more ideologically compatable.

Deflect whatever criticism comes from the SIC report, in part by Lehmans' appointment , and what you can't Blame on Tenet. Gotta say, it is brilliant. Very wrong, but brilliant.

It is also just opinion and hearsay. So take as you will. Nothing has happened yet...

I will leave you with a rather interesting (if not telling) quote:

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac