tang. ibook w/ 92 mgs ram+10.1???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by phufball71, Jul 8, 2002.

1. phufball71 macrumors member

i have a 366mhz tang ibook w/ 92 mgs of ram, It says 128 is the minimum amount of ram but would it still run?i tried to install it but it was taking very long so i quit it, maybe some of u have tried macos x.1 w/ less than the req. amount of ram?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The minimum requirements are set for a reason. How did you get 92MB of RAM??? IF you really want to run OS X (10.1.x), get more memory before you do. I suggest getting at least another 256MB (if not more). What size hard drive do you have?? If you don't have at least 2GB free, then you won't be able to do a whole hell of a lot with OS X.

I tried the public beta of OS X on an iBook way back when, and it ran ok with no OS 9.x installed (at all). It was no where near as fast as my desktop, or many other systems I have run OS X on.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

You can not have a 366 mhz tangerine ibook, to my knowledge. The 366 mhz were graphite, like the one sitting on my desk now. Tangerine only came at 300. I know it's minor but I would just like to make that point.

4. MattB macrumors member

Useless on less than 500mhz

I think that running OS X on anything less than 500Mhz and 128Mb of ram would be useless. Like previously stated, there are minimum requirements for a reason.

5. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Actually, I think he's right. I checked Mactracker and the first iBooks were offered in 300 & 366MHz while the next generation iBooks (w/ FireWire) were offered in 366 & 466MHz. Anyway, to phufball71 I would recommend adding at least another stick of 128MB RAM-- PC100 is very inexpensive and OS X loves RAM.

Bill

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Re: Useless on less than 500mhz

You may want a min. of 500MHz for a G3, but for a G4, 400MHz will be capable of running OS X at a good speed. :cool:

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

According to the Apple database, the only tangerine iBook was the 300MHz flavor. I even have one here at work that we loan out when people need a laptop to go to conferences and such, and all the other loaners we have are in use.

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

if you really need to run it then by all means do, it will be slow as, so just feed it ram ram ram :)

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yup, tangerine was 300MHz, and he probably meant 96MB RAM, since that's what I have in my tangerine iBook. Personally, I'm not even going to bother loading OS X onto this thing, I'm keeping it on 9.1. From what I've heard the performance ain't that great with the clamshell iBooks. I think I'm in the market for a new iBook pretty soon. :) I like the old tangerine, but it's seen better days! Some keys don't work, there's no FireWire, crappy graphics card, and the list goes on...

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Hey, OS 10.1 runs fast and smooth on my 366 iBook Get 128mb of ram and go for it

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How often do you use 'Classic' on that iBooger??? :eek: :p :D

BTW, 128MB of memory is listed as the minimum you should have before installing OS X. Less memory will reduce performance, it could get down to the point where it is painful to use. Also, that extra 66MHz of speed could be another reason it runs well for you.

12. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I ran Photoshop 6 in Classic on it alot before I got my Powerbook.
    Some render effects took along time to load but it was not painfull to use.