Tanning beds can increase cancer risk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 15, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

WASHINGTON -- Women who visit tanning salons more than once a month are 55 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma, and the risk more than doubles for women in their 20s who frequent tanning parlors, according to an eight-year study of more than 100,000 Scandinavians.

Melanoma is the worst type of skin cancer. It's the one that has terminal effects. The more common type is Squamous Cell, that is very treatable. Melanoma can metastasis, which means spread. It becomes deadly by attacking other organs.
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2553663/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150110152003

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Um.... DUH!!!!

UV rays 3 inches from your face=cancer.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hasn't this been known for some time? like, a decade or more? several decades for those who have common sense...

unfortunately people will do damn near anything if they think it makes them conform to some unrealistic social ideal...

pnw

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

ANOTHER USELESS STUDY?!!?

Stop wasting money on things we already know!

Light + Time = Skin Cancer
    Concentrated Light + 2 inches from body = SKIN CANCER

I know this, use the money for Cancer Research... or Parkinsons... or AIDS...

SOMETHING BETTER THEN THIS!

5. spinner macrumors regular

Someone actually got PAID to do this. That must be an awesome job. Write your thesis the first day, then play video games until your grant expires.

6. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it is useful to remind the public of these risks. Tanning salons are very popular are people in there teens and 20's. The consequences are so serious.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah really...

'Hey we need another study on cancer...
    :gives report to laziest guy in office:
    Be sure to include new results!'
    Him: 'Yeah okay... :goes on internet finds all needed data for a report:...
    [/thinks to himself -- that was easy, and I still have another 60 days to complete this report... SWEET.]
    '

Boooooo!

They are... but releasing redundent studys isn't going to prove anything...
    You want public awareness teach it in Schools or put it in the media...

~~Blah!~~

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Study a waste of time? Well....

...Actually, there is one interesting find: Women in their 20s are MORE likely to be inflicted than women in their 50s. You'd think younger skin could take it better...faster heal times, etc. As we get older, our skin 'thins' so one would think it would be more likely to develop UV-caused deseases.

Who knew? Well, no we do, THANKS to our friends the scientists.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: Tanning beds can increase cancer risk

I concur... DUH!

10. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

11. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Everything causes cancer nowadays...

"Scientists have discovered that Phil of Mac is unique in that he is the only person, place, circumstance, or thing that has not been linked with cancer. News that Phil of Mac does not cause cancer has resulted in nothing but benefits for Phil of Mac, who was previously the loneliest man on earth. When asked for a comment, Phil of Mac said, 'I feel like a rockstar. Women want me, because I won't give them cancer. Men want to be me, because I have the money and the power. Dogs still shove their snout in my crotch, but that's to be expected.' The last remark was a reference to the belief for many years that dogs and their tendency to shove their snouts into one's crotch did not cause cancer, however, further testing showed that it did."

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a great comment Phil Of Mac! :p Cancer diagnosis still stikes great fear. Life expectancy has increased. Cancer like heart disease has so many causes. The best thing is to work on the causes that we have control of like smoking, sun exposure, and certain foods.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Wow, this Phil of Mac stuff sounds great. I phoned my local health food store and ordered a case of it.

14. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I am still surprised to hear about the number of people that actually go to tanning beds. There tan may look good now, but in 20 years there skin will most likely be all wrinkly and they could possibly have cancer.

15. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

That is what has always suprised me, it's the young girls that like to get tanned. The reason that do get a tan is for beauty. If they would just look around they would see how is causes premature aging. The cancer part, it's that with the young, it can never happen to me.

16. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

"I admire your leathery skin, Alice."

"I admire your ability to find your RIGHT in only two tries."

:D

Meanwhile, fake tans look fake, no matter what, and they look awful on almost everybody.

17. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly it is a result of vanity. Teenagers striving be look like models that they see in magazines, movies, and TV. When they realize the effects, then is is often too late! :(

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

cancer is totally worth it to not have tan lines year round

19. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, no kidding. Not to mention large boobs and a nice ass.

20. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

The tan I can go without, but I'd be willing to lose 5 years off my life to have better breasts.

If I was female, I mean.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you drink the right beverages regularly, you can have attractive tan teeth.

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

In other unrelated news...

45% of the people who regularly use Tanning Beds have been found to increase their bust size, lower their IQ, and take years off their life!

:yay:

;)

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I suppose this would be mildly more interesting if it were approached for a molecular biological point of view instead of a clinical point of view...

I guess then you couldn't talk about the Scandinavians and the women in their 20s, but you would also have to back up your data with biochemical explanations.

But even such a study would be overdone in this case. I think we know just a little bit about how shooting frikin' UV rays at yourself MIGHT JUST cause cancer.

This just in...

In a recent clinical study of men and women between the ages of 20 and 30, it was determined that decapitation can lower life expectancy by over 50 years.

24. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

tanning salons use UV lights.

sun creams block UV lights.

that's a reason i don't visit tanning salons even when i feel i look miserably white and pale. :rolleyes:

25. Dros macrumors 6502

You could always slather yourself in sun cream before you go. Then you get to enjoy being in the special tubes and wear the cool glasses without risking cancer!