Tannoy monitors

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by aquajet, Feb 13, 2007.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've come across a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 monitors in a local Craigslist advertisment for $200. I'm looking for a good set of bookshelf speakers for my sound system and am wondering what you all think of these speakers in a hi-fi-type setup. I understand that, despite their age, they're pretty popular among audio engineers. What are your opinions? Is that a fair price?

As a side note, I've auditioned some Paradigm monitor series speakers and a set of Celestion F15 speakers. If you've heard these, how would you say they compare? At the moment, I'm more impressed with the Celestions.

Unfortunately, I can't return the Tannoys if I decide they aren't the best speakers in that price range so I kind of have to rely on other's opinions.

I know some of you are knowledgable in this area, so if you want to suggest other possibilities in the $350 range for bookshelf-sized speakers, feel free...

2. samjane macrumors newbie

samjane

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are you planning on using toilet paper for them? :)

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

:D hehehe, good read!

oh, the KRK's are sposed to be nice!

5. needthephone macrumors 6502a

No problem with Tannoy a fine UK speaker firm-have you neard the term "over the Tannoy" well it refers to the companies early public address systems. They are one of the great speaker firms out there. We have a Tannoy surround system and they are excellent

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The recent, small (nearfield) Tannoys however, have not reviewed well in Sound on Sound and other audio mags.

The larger Tannoys are legendary studio monitors with co-axial drivers. The small new ones are pretty much completely different.

7. cschreppel macrumors regular

I would avoid the Rokit 5's - I bought a pair of them as "interim" monitors after I sold my M-Audio BX5's and was saving up for my current Dynaudio BM5A's - which ROCK!

Actually, speaking of the M-Audio BX5's, you would be pretty happy with them. DO NOT get the M-Audio BX5A's though - they have a dark grey color scheme...they just don't sound as good as the original BX5's - they are black monitors with a silver speaker casing.

You can find the BX5's for $200 most likely - probably cheaper.

Anyway, the Tannoy's should serve you well. I'm not familar with that exact model, but I have other engineer friends who have used monitors from them and they love em.

8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Tannoys and speakers like them are reference monitors designed for mixing/mastering. Since they are nearfield and passive used in a studio setting, they might not be the best speakers for general purpose home listening.

Do you have any speaker retailers in your area where you can audition different speakers? If you want the best sound from speakers, unit placement and room treatment are more important than the brand of speakers you're likely to buy. Good luck! :)

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hear, hear. and even better -- audition them in your own room, not the showroom. they'll sound completely different in your own room.

10. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

I might listen to them briefly in a showroom, but I don't dare make a decision based on that alone. I've had a number of sets in my listening room already. Next up on the list is a set of Axioms, unfortunately must be purchased online. But I'm not too concerned as they've got a 30-day return policy.

Oddly enough, my favorite pair thus far (Celestion) is the cheapest.