TAP or AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rdowns, Mar 6, 2004.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    OK, bought an iBook G3/900 from CompUSA auctions (new for $601) which does not fall within the Apple extended service recently announced. It's not my main computer, receives light use but couldn't pass it up at that price. Trying to decide between AppleCare or TAP. I am the Director of Internet Sales and Marketing for an auto service contract company and have become a big believer in extended service. Yes, my company really pays its claims.

Repair service, not tech support, is my real concern. I've only needed Apple tech support twice in 18 years and CompUSA does include support but I'm sure it is not as good as Apple's.

AppleCare is $249. I am being offered the following options by CompUSA:

1 year of TAP at $97.64
    1 year with screen protection at $162.74
    2 years of TAP at $151.89
    2 years with screen protection for $271.24.

The offer is by mail, not sure if the rates are better than at retail.

I've heard CompUSA is pretty liberal with replacing units when repairs can not be made. Whether this translates to expensive latops I don't know.

If I am correct, AppleCare will cover the Airport card I have installed but it's cheap so not really concerned with it. I have Crucial RAM so I know I am covered by them.

Anyway, looking for opinions on what you think is best. Do I need the screen protection, seems silly not to have it if you buy a service contract? Any experiences with TAP?

Comments and opinions please.
  2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Don;t waste your cash. You are talking about applecare for 2 years of coverage (the two years you most likely won't have issues- which is why they can sell it confidently) for a product that only cost $600 initially. Remember, even if you want apple care, don't buy it until the end of your first year...they sell it at any point up to the end of the first year from what Ihave heard...but double check this with apple or else someone else here in the forum.

Most computer (not all) happen in either the first 12 months or the fourth+ year. There is a reason these extra warrenties are pushed so hard at electronic stores, care dealers, etc. Because they make lots of money off of them as they structrue them to be very profitable as they have very few actual claims by subscribers.
  3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    I agree EXCEPT that if you are going to buy AppleCare, buy it right away. The reason is that phone support ends after 3 months without the extended warranty. No matter when it is bought (within the allowed one year), AppleCare terminates 3 years from registered purchase date. For this reason, it makes the most sense to buy right away if you intend to buy it and get the free phone support the whole 3 years.
  4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I guess I agree, except you could wait to purchase it until you really need the support, which you state is not usually needed by you, expecially with access to great forums like this. :D The reason I would wait is alot can happen in a year and you may want to upgrade that computer for some reason, you may not want to spend the money at that poin on the warranty, etc. Who knows, but why spend the cash now if you don't use the support part of it anyway.

Just my two cents though.