Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
FYI, if you want to downgrade to tweetbot 2 (I don't know why you would) but you can't find it in the App Store, go to "Purchased" and you'll be able to download it there.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
They just posted a nice FAQ on their site. They'll be adding a dark mode, and some unspecified new gestures.

Tweetbot 2 will continue to get bug fixes and will probably be put back on the store.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Worth every penny of the $3 I spent. However, I thought I saw the $2.99 is only their introductroy price. But it's still worth it whether it's $3 or $5.

I'm glad to see the devs are going to release an update for the font size and a night mode, too.

Patzer

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Good but...

Love the app...

Looks good.

Flows smoothly.

But there's a "but"

Notifications don't work. And I've tried everything. Reset. Settings resent. re-install etc... everything. Anyone else having these issues?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
nope, they've actually removed features.... but the iOS 7 re-design looks really nice

They added features as well. Background refresh and new drafts UI come to mind right away. Webviews are confined to their own tab. Lots of smaller stuff.

danakm

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2006
Wonderland
They love milking the paid model, which is working against them as many devs switch to free w/IAP or lite and paid versions and manage to get more monetization of their apps. Even Apple is playing the free/IAP card with their apps (i.e. Garageband). From a user standpoint, I personally prefer allowing the user to try an app with restricted features than forcing them to pay.

Luckily for them, they have loyal customers.

Loyal to a point. I love Tweetbot and have no problem paying them for the iPhone version because I run it ALL THE TIME. I think twice but eventually always end up paying for the iPad version because I use it often, if much less than the iPhone one, but I definitely won't pay $20 for a mac TWITTER CLIENT (specially, with some of the stuff already built in on OSX and the official twitter app being perfectly decent and FREE) when I already have to pay TWICE for the iOS app just because they refuse to make it universal. If it were $10 or under (or if I had paid only once for iOS) I would most definitely buy it, but $20 is too much for a twitter client when there are much more powerful apps you can actually be productive with selling for less than that.

Just my opinion, tho.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I wish apps didn't charge for an update. I understand games charging for an update, but apps like this? Alien Blue, a reddit app, was a one time buy. It is fully supported by a great dev. I wish more companies did that.

They almost HAVE to cause Twitter only allows a certain amount of tokens before they have to buy more. If it were a free update, it would use up another token and they wouldn't be able to pay for more.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
If you can't handle paying $2.99 for a quality, re-designed app, you need to just stick with the free garbage-apps. The cost is about equivalent to buying your friend a beer.

Folks will pay $30+ for some cheap made in China case; yet, they won't pony up for quality software.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but this app seems to have some heavy battery drain on my device.

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
Is nobody upset that it looks absolutely nothing like a robot? It abandoned the most obvious thing to make it stand out from the crowd to blend in with iOS 7. I'm saddened by it, and thought there'd surely be others.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you can't handle paying $2.99 for a quality, re-designed app, you need to just stick with the free garbage-apps. The cost is about equivalent to buying your friend a beer.

Agreed. And fact that (1) $2.99 represents a promotional price (soon to be increased to $4.99), (2) Tweetbot will eventually hit Twitter's token limit, and (3) Tweetbot is an app that most of the buyers would use almost daily -- all makes it more acceptable to pay to upgrade, even for recent buyers.

I would've paid to upgrade many other recent pay-to-upgrade iOS 7 apps if the developers offered some sort of promotional pricing as a sign of good gesture. I won't say who, but many shifted blames to Apple for not providing an infrastructure for upgrade pricing option. That's a nice and valid excuse and all, but in the end, they are saying FU to existing customers.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012

Folks will pay $30+ for some cheap made in China case; yet, they won't pony up for quality software.

My problem is when developers milk customers such as not making a universal iOS app. The one that really pissed me off was the Slingbox app, it was $30 for iPhone/iPod version and another $30 for iPad version. Now both versions are $15 each.

Maybe it's just me, but this app seems to have some heavy battery drain on my device.

"White" is an expensive color when it comes to battery life! I'm looking forward to their dark theme.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
"White" is an expensive color when it comes to battery life! I'm looking forward to their dark theme.

No, iPhones have LCD screen with white LED backlighting. White or black, the energy consumption is identical.

You are mistaking it for OLED, which consumes less energy when displaying darker image.

AppleGuyz

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Not interested

These guys were rude and non responsive to people that asked about the upgrade and I've already moved on to a competitor. Do I miss some features? Yes, but I'm not interested in giving this kind of company my money these days.

$3 a year is not a lot... but you do have to tell me what you are thinking and not just let me hang for months on end if you want it.

PaulOBrain

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2013
UK
These guys were rude and non responsive to people that asked about the upgrade and I've already moved on to a competitor. Do I miss some features? Yes, but I'm not interested in giving this kind of company my money these days.

$3 a year is not a lot... but you do have to tell me what you are thinking and not just let me hang for months on end if you want it.

Ok you do that, while the rest of us enjoy these features without worrying about petty things like this.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I think setting the Text Size in iOS to the smallest size possible works best with the new version of Tweetbot, but I still get one line of text less than with the same font size in the previous version of Tweetbot. I believe that would be because of bigger thumbnails of pics in the new Tweetbot's timeline. I think it'd be better if they changed their size to the one in v. 2.

I think the new version is pretty good minus the text settings anx the fact it feels a bit too "spacey" - i.e. feels like there's too much white space in between tweets etc... pretty much like the official Twitter app.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
nope, they've actually removed features.... but the iOS 7 re-design looks really nice

So, i'm paying for the same app again w/ less features... because it LOOKS nice?

Hmmm... i'll wait until they update their apps across the board (iMac and iPad) before I consider this. Does the automatic timeline update still work at least? that's really my main concern?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.