"Tape editing" editor

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by macstatic, Mar 21, 2007.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I would like to start editing songs in much the same way as earlier was done by cutting and splicing 1/4" reel-to-reel tape. Here's a short example I've uploaded.

As you'll notice, the song is heavily edited, taking bits and pieces from different sections of the song and rearranged as well as bits of silences rhytmically inserted etc. I haven't come across many Mac users editing like this (they mostly seem to use PCs and I'm still investigating what kind of software they're using so I can ask around for equivelant Mac software), but I've understood this much that you really need an editor that will allow you to divide your song into suitably small "chunks" that can easily be copied/moved around.
    I'm not talking about the usual time "ruler" which any editor has, because this is not relative to the beat in the song. I not to define a way of defining "how long a measure is" (and fractions of this), then repeat this throughout the song so I can copy/move an exact length rhythmically speaking.

I've been suggested Wave Editor (US$ 250) which apparently can do this (I'm still trying to learn it via the 15 day demo), but I'm wondering what else is out there?

I believe someone claimed that Logic and Logic Express can be used to edit this way too. I'm considering getting Logic express as I need something to be able to function as a recording studio to complement my MIDI gear, and if it can be used to edit "tape style" as well, then nothing could be better.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

pro tools excels at waveform editing. from my experience, logic does not.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can you please elaborate on that?
    I'm considering getting Logic Express as I need a DAW for recording my own music, but I haven't been able to get a chance to try out either that nor Pro Tools.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

elaborate on the superiority of PT wrt waveform editing? it has good tools that allow exact edits and it renders instantaneously.

logic has waveform editing tools, but they're just simply not as good as those in PT. those who argue in favor of Logic as a platform, from what i've seen, always cite things other than waveform editing.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

In other words; are you saying that Logic (and Logic Express I assume?) has basic editing tools sufficient for the most common tasks, but if you really want to get into deep, serious editing, then Pro Tools is the way to go?

Since I don't know anyone who has either Logic/Logic Express or Pro Tools, are there any good websites which can demonstrate what you're talking about?

I've visited Digidesign's website, but there seems to be several Pro Tools versions around, not just a "Pro Tools". Which one are you referring to? Or do they basically have the same features when it comes to the audio editing part?

As I'm sure you can understand, I'm not ready to part with lots of hard earned cash by guessing on what I really need for my use if something much cheaper will do the job fine.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wouldn't call Logic's tools basic, it's just that PT rules. all versions offer the same editing tools.

you can get Audacity for free. i haven't used it, but am told by someone whose students use it for radio editing that it does the job fine.

7. cschreppel macrumors regular

Another vote for PT here. It's just simple to use and very powerful - especially 6.4 and up.

Logic just isn't intuitive AT ALL. Awful for editing.

Although, I've gotta say that I've been really impressed with the sound of the edits (particularly the crossfades) in Nuendo 3. In the studio I work at, where we do mainly hi res classical recordings, we use Nuendo...it's the bomb. There's not much mixing and pop record stuff that goes on there, so Pro Tools really isn't needed. But man, Nuendo's fades are impeccable. I've done some basic mixing on it and it's fairly decent, but not nearly as simple and straightforward as PT.

Also, I've found that PT's signal flow represents a standard console much more than Logic, DP, or anything else...although Nuendo is also pretty good.

If you're looking for a good stereo editor, check out Steinberg's WaveLab if you have a PC or an Intel Mac that will dual boot XP - WaveLab only works on XP.

Same algorithms that Nuendo uses there - insanely powerful. Great tool for mastering as well - AND you can burn Redbook audio CDs directly from it.

Hoping they come out with a Mac version though.

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

I agree RE: Pro Tools in this area. I'm actually perhaps the biggest Logic promoter on this subforum. I use Logic daily for my work as a composer with samples. However, the lack of a good wav-file sort of editor in Logic is true. Some wish that apple would make Soundtrack Pro's editor part of Logic.

You can edit audio files in Logic of course, just not as easy as in ProTools, mainly because of the display on the screen. Audio/Midi is displayed as colored blocks in the arrange window in Logic, whereas in Pro Tools you see the actual wav file at all times.