tape to mp3 or aiff?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blueflame, Dec 15, 2004.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

hello all, i have a 17 in pb, how do i take a tape cassette and turn it into a digital file? thanks guys
    andreas

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well... if you really want to do that... let's see... you have cassette player with a headphone jack... and a 17" powerbook with a line-in.

All you really need is a program to record the file and a cable... plus a little bit of patience at getting the levels just right.

Good luck.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i did this very thing last night.

took the RCA outs from the tapedeck into my patchbay, which goes via d-sub connector into my apogee rosetta 800 converters, which connect via ADAT lightpipe into my digi002r, which is connected via firewire to my g5. using ProTools LE, i recorded at 48kHz / 24-bit to AIFF, mixed down with POWr dither to 44.1kHz / 16-bit AIFF, which i imported as-is into itunes, then converted to a 192kHz mp3.

so it's pretty much as cr2sh said. 'cept i've spent a few more bucks on gear.

you need an analog -> digital converter. your mac has one built in, but it's not very high quality. you also need recording software, like Peak. there's a bunch of others. AIFF is a lossless format, so i recommend that for the conversion. you can import that into itunes, then convert it to whatever lossy format (e.g. mp3, aac) you want.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'd be interested to see how much better your mp3's sound than this guy's.. I mean seriously, it doesn't matter how much money you spend.. it'll still prolly sound like butt. :)

It's a cassette! :)

5. roadapple macrumors regular

I transfered some old tapes I made off the radio in 87 using the 14 day trial of:

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

Hooked up a walkman to a 15" pbook using a Griffin iMic USB Audio Interface, you may be able to skip this if you have a line-in on the 17". After editing the file with sound studio, save it then open in itunes to convert.

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The sound can be recorded with Garageband if you have that already. Alternatively a low cost option is Amadeus II.

7. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh. good point. i will say that my rendering sounds more like my cassette than his rendering will of his.

to clarify, i didn't buy all this gear to dump cassettes, i bought it to record new music. the song from the other night was the first song i've dumped in this manner, a song my band recorded (in our basement studio) about 11 years ago.

if anyone wants to hear it, get it here: Last of the Chafikans