Target Disk Mode with 2 HDs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bunkre, Nov 7, 2004.

1. bunkre macrumors member

Mar 10, 2004
    I want to mount the 2 hard drives in a G4 powermac via FireWire Target Disk Mode. It seems to only connect to one of the drives, and oddly enough, it's not the startup disc?

Any tips on how to either choose which one it will connect to or how to connect to both?

Once i have them both backed up to DVD i can sell it off and enjoy having just my new iMac G5 on my desk. :)

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Not sure how to or if you can do that. Why not just connect the 2 computers via Ethernet?
  3. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    would it not just target anything on the ATA bus?

I've only ever done it using an external iMac with one drive. In theory it should mount CD and zip drives too. well maybe not the internal zip, but it might do.

Firewire is much easier for occasional big transfers than ethernet.
  4. bunkre thread starter macrumors member

Mar 10, 2004
    yeah, i thought it would mount at least both drives as well.

as to why i want to do this is, like i said, i'm backing everything on my old mac to DVD before i sell it - but it wont let me just drag absolutely everything over from the system disk while it's running that OS (mostly things inside the sytem folder) via ethernet. i just need to know i have everything before i let it go.

i tried switching the other HD from slave to master to see if that would show up instead via firewire. no luck. i think it must have OS 8 or above on the drive or something.

oh well...

5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Go backward. Start up the iMac in Target Disk Mode, and mount it on the tower, then from the tower copy everything over.
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    If not just try connecting via Firewire over IP. That's what I do if i do not want to restart a certain machine.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Just network em via FireWire. One of the 150 things in Panther.