Target Disk Mode

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ingenious, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Greetings:

I've got two (old, I know...) Macs that I'm working on: an old beige horizontal PowerMac G3 and a G3 all-in-one. Both have 3rd-party firewire cards in them and will display a connected computer that is running TDM (i haven't actually tested the all-in-one, but its the same card because I haven't gotten my second one to work yet...). However, even after reading Apple's support pages on the issue that tell me I should download a FireWire update and trying to install it (OS too new... 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 instead of 9.0.1-.0.4. So, I'm using the ADB keyboard and mouse on each and holding down T when they start and it just boots normally! I can get them into OpenFirmware using XPostFacto, but I don't know the command to boot into TDM.

Anyone have any ideas? Different key combonation for 9.x or an OpenFirmware command?

Thanks.

edit: here's the Apple Support link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58642

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have got some bad news for you. Your Macs are incapable of Target Disk Mode. I believe it is only Macs with BUILT IN Firewire that are capable of it. I believe it actually has to do with weather they have the new age open-firmware but the built in ports is an easy way to tell.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Not even all macs with build in firewire support TDM. The G3 B&W doesn't support it, and it gives a lot of problems with some third party equipment also. From the ibooks 466mhz (second generation clanshells, if I'm correct) and up did support TDM. You can however have a machine that does support it and hook it up with an older machine. The machine that does support it will become the firewire disk when hold T at startup on its keyboard.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

5. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

The document mentioned it that TDM is usable with a third-party card.

6. Err macrumors member

it is talking about the host computer, the target computer (the one acting as a harddrive) has to be on the list. it has to do with the firmware.