Tattoo idea - comments and ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Lets not let this get in to the right and wrong of tattooing. I already have two tattoos; one on my left pec (a "tribal" design with no particular meaning) and one on my left thigh (a "Leo" lion with the astrological symbol).

I am wanting to add to what I have already. I do want to get some "balance" on the art on my body. I am looking into the possibility of the left pec tattoo being copied on my right pec. I should add that I am a fan of back piece art. There is something exciting about sharing body art with others that I don't get to see easily.

That being said, I came across an image that speaks to me personally (see attached image). It identifies many aspects in my life; I am a "Bear" as defined by the Gay community, I look at Polar Bears as one of God's creatures that survive under the harshest of conditions (I look at my life, and see that I have been able to pull through - even when others might have given up), and I have a love of travel and adventure.

Have no preconceived notions as to whether it should be a color tattoo (problematic for sure IMO), or a black and grey tattoo. I am thinking that this idea demands something 6"x6" as a minimum. Body location has not been decided as of yet. Possible locations could be my left bicep, my right pec, or as a "major back piece.

Since we have so many "artists" here, I have no problem is seeing your take on this image as a tattoo. Also opinions that this is too complex to be done right are welcomed. As well as all other comments too.

Thanks

Chip

Attached Files:

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Wow Chip, that's awesome - that is so true. I love Polar Bears, but I never thought of a meaning like that. that is awesome! We do have a harsh life. @#$%^&* str8 @^^#&*^! who think they are holier than thou with that @#$%^&* attitude really makes me angry.
    You're awesome Chip, you really are.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

chip feel free to instant message me or PM me if you want to get into details about the artwork....

you know my love for body modifications and tattoos and piercings and what not

getting something that speaks to you personally and that has meaning is key, i would personally think something like this would be good at about a 4" x 4" design on your upper shoulder blade, or as a larger backpiece with more incorporated into it

i would be more than happy to offer further suggestions and ideas and possibly doing some hand drawings to add into it as well if you would like.

let me know

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL, thanks I think. Because you and I share some common websites/forums, I will defer to a sincerity here.

Some here know all too well the trials and tribulations of the last year or so in my life. PM me for the Readers Digest version. Lets just say it has been a hell of a ride, with Cybil at the switch. :D

So that being said, how do you see this image being used as a tattoo....

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

be ready for some true pain if thats the size...its a good one

Bless

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Where possible, I would like to use this thread (if allowed by the Mods), so that others might get ideas and inspiration on their own body art and body modification.

Final details can and will be handled between you and I (among others I presume). I respect your opinion and experience.

That I do.. <g>

That is why I found this image so totally me! My first tattoo was the lion on my left thigh. It spoke to my being a Leo. The other tat was trying to be trendy, without real thought as to a plan for body art on my body.

I like that you think that a 4x4 might work. That would allow building on the left pec tat, by placing the image on my left upper bicep. (I should see if iGary can do some pics of me and my tats to give a better idea as to the canvass that is available) Being able to see this idea each day would be so awesome to me. For I already have spoken to meaning behind this image.

I am wanting to do a "signature" piece for my back though.

Sure will! Your words of support mean so much, since we did have a chance to meet and share a meal. I just hope that you and I can spend more time in Chicago or DC. You are so totally cool!

7. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My first tat, the lion (thigh), did not really hurt. But it was on a very "fleshy" part. My second tat on my pec did hurt a bit closer to the shoulder blade. Maybe the "no pain, no gain" applies.

In both cases, I was in a total rush afterwards though. Not a pain freak here. I get close to fainting over needles. :eek: Maybe PlaceofDis could explain it better, but body modification can be an experience that defies explanation.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure not problem using this thread for discussion of this in my opinion.

so you are thinking left bicep then? that could work. are you thinking just the polar bear, and if you want more than just the bear, what else would you like to see incorporated, any other particular images that would be significant as background parts?

any particular pose you want the bear to be in? i dont know how specific to this picture you want to be.

the image can be scaled down to wherever you want to have it really, larger scale for a back piece, or smaller for a chest, or mid sized for a bicep, depends upon placement and all that, you know.

i would think it could work with white if you have a good artist, but greyscale is always good in my opnion on too. i like black, but i'm pale and thats just my preference

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i got a tat on my shoulder muscle....it didnt hurt at all but its not as big as that picture u got there. i saw this dude getting a tat next to his.......:rolleyes: .....that had to hurt.

Bless

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the wrist areas hurt, but your skin is sensitve and thin there

the only other tattoo i have is a 5" x 5" black sun centered on my back, a good portion of it runs down my spine, that didn't hurt at all though.

body mods do give a good rush to you though, a sense of accomplishment and feeling of pride, adrenaline rush too. tattoos really only hurt in the process though, piercings have many more complications, as they never fully heal until you take them out for good, your body is always trying to sorta heal that wound.

i wouldn't worry about the pain too much, but depending on the size, it may take two sessions to complete, and i think you will be able to handle it Chip, especially if it is drawn right....

11. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Care to share pics?

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

sure as soon as i can take a picture of it. i was thinking about getting another tat on my arm...a nice big one but i dont like colors just black and white.

Bless

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man I wish I could have seen your tat when I was up visiting you all! I had only seen your post here, and in person of some of your piercings.

This is one of my photo projects that I want to start. Photographing body modifications of us "ordinary" people. The web and galleries are filled with the "body beautiful", but not us every day folk.

My ex did have a "shock" reaction when he got a 2x2 "sun" tat when I got my pec piece. I was "rushing" on the drive home, while he was "sick as a dog".

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well next time you are around ill show you all my tats, im sure you saw my wrist pieces....

some people do have a shock reaction, especially depending on the way they are tattooed, different artists have different techniques... and some people just can't take it too, depends on the person really

so any other ideas floating around about this particular piece, still in the developmental process then?

15. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

This is an interesting thread...

I was considering getting a tattoo but I still haven't gotten up the nerve to actually go for it. I'd probably get something small in an inconspicuous place. Right now I just a have a few piercings but I definitely don't "flaunt" them...I personally do it just for me, not for show. I have a small stud in my nose that you have to be close to my face to see, and my tongue is pierced but I don't stick it out or play with the barbell (I see people with tongue piercings rolling it around on their lip or biting on it-that's so annoying).

I'd love to see some photos of things that people have had done!

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Here is my back tattoo, ying yang on left wrist, 9-pointed star on right wrist
    and you can see my double eyebrow piercing, 8 gauge ears, and labret peircings in the one picture too....

sorry no pictures of the nipples.

Attached Files:

17. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

The back tat is awesome. I like the wrist ones as well...I see that you said earlier that they were a bit painful, I'd probably go for something on my back (although the lower back seems like the status quo for girls nowadays).

No nipple piercing pics? *shakes head in disappointment* ;)

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha, im sure you can see them in all my shirtless pics in the MR Photo Thread/or the Directory.... :p

the right wrist hurt a bit more than the left, but not so much that i wouldn't do it again and again... the back was no sweat, on the spine, if you are bony will cause some pain. shoulders aren't ever too bad if you want to start with your back, thighs are rather painless too, just giving you some ideas there.

the back i drew, it was my first one too.... i drew the star as well. no point for me to draw a ying yang though... ;)

ever need help with ideas or designs let me know :D

19. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

thanks for the info, will do! :)

20. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man. so much respect for what you have done.

The back piece is worthy IMO of many congrats.The rest are something that the rest of us are hoping for. I am not sure that I could have gone as far has your wrists.

Your Ying-Yang caused me some discomfort. only because my ex wanted this as their tat.

The rest of what you showed gives me pause that you and I might have spent more time together. All of an appreciation of our art...

21. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Strangely I was going to post a thread on getting another tattoo. I currently have 5 red stars on the inside of my right arm, a black star on my right hand (between my thumb and finger), tribal pattern on my right leg (stretching around from my foot over my shin and around to my calf) and flames on my left leg.

the tattoo that I want now is think different with the power button logo across my wrist of my right hand (where you would cut yourself if you had suicidal tendencies) this would be hidden by my watch strap.

i was thinking something like this

[​IMG]

or maybe even

[​IMG]

what do you guys think? can you design a better one? :)

(sorry to barge in on your thread, mods can split if desired, i just think it would be strange having 2 identical threads.

22. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In many ways this thread was about making a tat mean something to the rest of us in some way. PlaceofDis deserves props for he did. I wish I had the courage to do what he did at his age.

23. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Ooops, sorry. Your first post doesnt give that impression.

What do you mean? having some tattoos and piercings?. (not being an ass, just want to know what you mean)

24. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I got my first tattoo when I was 12 from my brother with an x-acto knife. It didn't hurt too bad until he tried to shade it (cross-hatch). Since then, I've designed my own tatoos. I suppose my only advice would be to be careful with that color. Those shades of blue could lose contrast over time if you don't take care of your artwork. I have seen tats that use a lot of solid color like the one proposed, and they seemed to turn out really cool, although one required a little maintenance.

25. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I was thinking of getting a ying-yang or SPQR tat but me and needles dont get along, whats the palce on the body where you feel the leest pain?