Tattoo you

Discussion in 'Community' started by big, Oct 11, 2002.

1. big macrumors 65816

big

any tattoo'd members? I was trying to get mine finished up and the local shop said it was too complicated for them.

Just wondering if their were any mo' tat's on the boards. what are they and were?

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

Nah, I'm too young for such things. I've heard that getting a tatoo can be pretty painful, what are you experiences with it?

3. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

depends on where it is placed, on a flabby area (under the arm where there are a lot of nerve endings) its gruelling.

though on the top of your arm, its not bad at all. More numbing than anything else, but on BONE! OMG! that is just all wrong

and please do not get some silly cartoon like tweetie bird or taz. you will want to wait to do it (if you even do) to design something your self, and really really be comfortable with it.

I suggest using a permanant marker to "practice" it on your self, to see if you would like what you drew, to be there forever.

you'll either feel totally dumb, or worse, really be ok with it, and it'll turn into this nasty habit.

I try to put off getting one every two years, ugg, its addicting

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I don't think I'll ever get a tatoo. I'm just not a body art/piercing kind of guy.

5. diorio macrumors 6502a

So... I guess its not good to get a naked women tatooed on your shoulder unless you want it forever. I'll keep that in mind. I've also heard of those who get scrotal tatoos, which to me is totally insane. You don't do this do you?

6. bombensington macrumors regular

i have a tattoo on the top of my foot, yeah it hurt so freakin much...but then after awhile it was just super numbing.

a good piece of advice is to not get any tattoos where you can't easily hide them. for me i can just wear shoes and no one is the wiser - but for some it's a lot harder. if you get one when you're young and stupid make sure it's something you can hide later when you are older and wiser.

and yes, they are addicting...i want another one too.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Like durandal, I am not a tatoo guy. Well, I am only 15, but I'll never get a tatoo. I can't imagine being 75 with a tatoo. And I have no idea what I would get it of. The only things I really like are apple and kung fu. Not good things to have a tatoo of.

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

My friends ex boyfriend had flames tattood on
    his wanker...he also had it pierced and he loves
    to show it off (im in los angeles so it's not that
    weird). The damn thing reminds me of a 67
    chevy with flames and chrome.

9. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ah ah aha h aha ha ha ha aahh aha ha

sorry, 67 chevy... yeah, I know a guy with several Prince Alberts....ummm, no piercings here, nor ever.

I want to get full sleeves. and probably will sooner or later.

I don't mind being 70 with old wrinkly tats...it'll still be intimidating, and scare my gandkids. I started on my upper arm with a celtic band. and need to find some one realllly good to finish it for me.

I practice Architecture, so usually I wear a suit, so it showing is not an issue. However, a nice Polo will reveal a little when I strecth, and one or two of my "Harley Davidson" clients love that their Urban Planner is kinda a bad ass.

In any instance, the only difference between people with tats & those without.... you know the saying

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Insane and (this is just an opinion) stupid. Why?!?!?!?

11. dreamlance macrumors regular

I've been told it's really skanky for a woman to get a tattoo but beside that idea, I can never decide on a design that I would want to keep for the rest of my life. I muddled with the idea of getting a dragonfly on my lower back since I like them and maybe some Japanese kanji with it but maybe I'll just stick to henna :)

Piercing and tattooing private organs definitely isn't something on my list of things to try. Wouldn't that just hurt like hell?

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

no tatoos, and won't ever get one, not interested. And I couldn't imagine my grandmother with a bunch of tatoos - that would be just plain weird. But probably by the time you all get old and think about removing them, there will be an easy way to do it - maybe even a home kit ;)

But I really don't hate them either, and don't really think much of them in general, its just not for me.

D

13. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

yea their not for me. i know a few people
    that wish they never got them. for me im
    not much of an exhibitionist. and i never
    thought they would make me "cooler"
    than i already am :) so i just never got one.
    really does not interest me at all. matter of
    fact i think...well.....never mind.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd consider it. but it'd take a good design to get me swayed....

i think i still have a 10% discount card for the place i got my ears (tragi) pierced.

good ole van....

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Ive got a tattoo of a panda.....it's just black and in the form of a chinese cutout.....

16. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

yeah, but where is the panda?

Im in the middle of scanning in design, and pasting them on myself (from a camera jpg)

its actually working out really well! I can see what it'd look like more or less. so cool...

If I can find a few mins, I'll post a gif tonight as an update.

17. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

I am a Licensed Tattoo Artist and Peircer, and I got turned on to Macs because I was tired of the Graphics Programs I used Blue Screening when I would try to draw a peice in. So I started using a Mac.

I have some Logos of a Punk Band that I used to Roadie for on my right arm and I hope to have full sleeves too much to the objections of the girl I am marrying next summer, but come hell or high water I will have at least one arm done....

I put my self through college doing tatoos at a local shop, because I would beg the head artist/owner EVERYDAY and he got tired of me, and finally brought me on.

It is fun, I love Body Modifications!

I have my date set for my next set of tattoos (The Apple Logo around my wrists)

18. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

Just got back from my local shop....

have to set an appointment, understandably so, but I can not wait for my next one, I would love full sleeves, just too expensive.

these guys have great looking work, but they charge $100 an hour, hell, even the principle in my firm doesn't charge that much!

sickboy_osX, their work looks good, is that price fair?

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

become a nude model artist...those babes won't blue screen on you:p

20. big thread starter macrumors 65816

big

ha ha, that reminds me of when I almost became a nude model for a college art class

In the end I chickened out, I just would have been too emberased had it had been "cold" in the class, or say, a really cute girl....

oh man, that would have been bad!

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, i've got a (small) tat... it's a little curly-tailed lizard with his tongue out in henna red (it's a henna design too)... it's on the side of my ankle, part of it is right on bone, but i didnt think it hurt that much. kind of like a really distant bee sting or something, more annoying than hurtful... every time she started back with the needle, i impulsively wanted to jerk my leg away, but when she was in the middle of a pass it wasnt too bad...

my partner got one the same day, henna red and henna design of a ring of dolphins on his pelvic bone right under his waist. i think he really felt it more than i did, it being so close to ... and all, but he still took it like a champ :)

it was one of those weird "i have a few hundred bucks" times and we were both relatively stoned (when it started anyway), we had only been together a month buy decided to get tattoos together. Ah well, two years later we still like 'em :)

pnw

22. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

I dont know i would have to see their work.

But just FYI I charged 120.00 per hour, but i Usually didnt do it by the hour, but I did it by the peice, you should ask the ink slinger near you, if they would do it by the peice instead of by the hour. sometimes that works.

23. rugby macrumors regular

I've got a dragon on my back left shoulder blade. It's about 6"x6" Pretty cool, I got it on my birthday 2 years ago (year 2000 was year of the dragon and it was my 25th birthday).

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wow, that's a great living!!!

i charge $75 an hour for techie stuff, but i don't get 40 hours a week like the more experienced techies/shops in the field who clean up big time

i should become a tattoo artist instead...sounds like more fun and much better pay:p

i knew this guitarist who made no money with music turn to tattoos...first he got a job here and there working from home and as he got better, he got full time work, and as his clientele grew, he had to get a shop and hire other artists to keep his clietele happy

i don't know what he charges, but since tattoos have gone big, i think he has succeeded wildly

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

contrast:

I have no mods and don't plan on any unless I get a chance to sculpt my scrawny ass a bit more, put on some weight and get symmetrical.

However: My wife has 3, She has a very well executed sleeping western-style dragon in the small of her back (about 6"wide x 5" High) in purple and green; a white pacific north-west Dogwood bloom lifesize on her right hip that she got just before the wedding to honour my BC heritage; and the kanji for "strength" centered just below the collar line on her back about 3" square done to look like rippled water. She has 2 conservative ear piercings per ear and she's quite insistant that I pick a design soon for myself.:rolleyes:

There are a very few rules it seems:

Genital mods seem to corrolate to "small-johnson syndrome"; tats on the hands are usually assumed to be an "underworld" thing; webs on the elbows and ring tats CAN GET YOU KILLED. Other than that it's a matter of taste.