Tattoos and Jobs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockandrule, Jul 9, 2006.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I was wondering what everyone's tattoo policies were at their jobs? I have no clue what mine is at Office Depot. I have one that is visible at any time that my sleeve us up an inch, but have never gotten in trouble for it. So, I figure that it's not a big deal to them. I'm going to go up very soon to get my second tattoo done, this time on my right arm, and I wondered how big of a deal it is to the places that you work at for tattoos being visible. I'm looking into still getting a job at the Apple Store in Jacksonville when I move back up in September and one of the managers has two visible tattoos, so I believe it is safe to assume that they're cool with them as long as they are not obscene.

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i have ink all over the place.... the key is, it is all covered while i am working... its hard to walk into a hospital or a bank....etc and try to sell them fiber optics with a full sleeve of tats :D

with that beind said, a few of my customers have seen the ink on my calves while golfing... but these are established customers and at that piont my service level and relationship is established enough that they dont seem to mind... ;)

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a few tattoos and will definitely get more in the future. I try to not make it an issue.....I only get them where they can't be seen when work-type-attire.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

All I know is that one of my coworkers got fired for getting a huge bleeding skull on his forearm. Doesn't look good when you're serving ice cream and coffee. :p

5. rockandrule thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, that's a little morbid.

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

With a tat like that, I wouldnt think that this friend would have a job serving ice cream and coffee...:) Those two images just dont seem to go together...

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

One of my former bosses had naked mermaids on his forearms, and always had to wear long sleeve shirts while at work. In the summer it was a bit of a pain.

8. shirley macrumors member

tattoos and jobs

I have a very small red rose on my arm and was asked to cover it with a BLUE plaster when at work this drew more intrest from customers than my tatoo did uncovered, I worked in retail at the time

9. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

what is blu plaster??? sounds kinda unhealthy to have on your arm :confused:

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

plaster = british for band-aid. :p (a.k.a adhesive bandage).

B

11. vniow macrumors G4

It seems like they're more conservative when you're in a customer service type position, especially one where there's a dress code. Your best bet would to wear something which covers it and inquire about it if you're hired or at least a top candidate.

Thankfully I don't have any of these restrictions at any of my jobs, no ink yet but no one seems to complain that I have a nosering or that my ears are stretched a bit. Then again I don't have a front desk position nor am I interacting with a decent amount of people a lot of the time.

12. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

HAHAHAHA...... and i was picturing some blu spackeling on their arm...:eek:

13. shirley macrumors member

tattoos and jobs

opps forgot you guys arent Britsh yep plaster is a band aid....

what the hell is blu spackeling ???

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

probably most of the americans were thinking some sort of plaster of paris smeared on the arm... sort of an amusing image :p

15. shirley macrumors member

tattoos and jobs

well we do our best to keep you amused .....and little things please little minds

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

eh my work don't care, it's an office, but it's also the ski industry so most things are pretty lax. A former co-worker of mine had a very nice (and large) piece on her lower back that stuck out quite a bit because of the shirts she wore. People would comment on it but never in a negative "cover that up" kinda way.

Some people have gotten in a bit of trouble over facial piercings but never enough to permanently remove them.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. I thoroughly agree w/ vniow's points.

I don't have ink and probably never will (simply because I'm too fickle and I'm likely to tire of any design soon after getting it done :eek:) but my sister just got a decent-sized tattoo on her inner wrist. She works food retail in an upscale café/ restaurant in ritzy La Jolla (San Diego, CA) and she got the okay from management before getting hers done.

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

same as me. got a couple, all easily coverable

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, that's basically what spackle is. The lightweight plaster we yanks put on our walls...

I'm a yank, but grew up surrounded by many who would ask to borrow a rubber in class and duck out for a fag after class. :p

B

20. user23 macrumors newbie

just got back

Hello...just got back from Portland Pioneer Place Apple store. One of the employees had stretched ears (probably 1.25" in size) and his arms were about 33%, each, covered. He even had some work on his neck.

I've had corporate jobs where visible tattoos were never a problem. Only problem with tattoos I had was when I worked crappy retail jobs in my early 20's. They seem to care the most b/c their customer base is (generally) boring middle class types who don't understand that sort of thing...or, at least that is the excuse these jobs give as to why one must cover up, or get out.

21. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

When i do my Ironman i'm going to get it tatooed on the side of my leg - i figure it's a place that even the most uptight of bosses can't be bothered to check

22. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Noun: spackle spakul
    Usage: N. Amer
    (trademark) powder containing gypsum plaster and glue that when mixed with water forms a plastic paste used to fill cracks and holes in plaster
    - spackling compound [N. Amer]

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I just got a forearm piece and my manager didn't care, he thinks it's cool. Of course I'm a supervisor as well. It's also not in any way going to be seen as "vulgar" or whatnot, if it was a naked lady that might be an issue, or a baby with it's brains being blown out.

24. rockandrule thread starter macrumors 6502

Lets see it!

25. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Whoa! I thought you were talking about Steve Jobs and tatoos. Please, people, Steve's last name is capitalized. A job, as in the thing you do for money, aka work, is not capitalized. I can't stand thread titles where I don't know what kind of "jobs/Jobs" people are talking about. Ok, i'll stop.

sorry for going on a grammar rant:eek: