Tax-free Apple retailers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djbombjack, May 24, 2005.

1. djbombjack macrumors member

First off, apologies if this has already been covered.

MacWarehouse no longer sell without sales tax - are there any other online REPUTABLE Apple retailers that sell without charging sales tax?
    Not had much luck finding one so far...

2. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Powermax does not have Sales Tax, they have been around for a long time:
    www.powermax.com

3. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

New Hampshire does not have sales tax. Get yourself to the Apple store in the mall in Salem. Obviously that doesn't work for the "online" part though. Amazon.com appears to not have sales tax, although I didn't feel like entering my CC info just to find out.

4. simon-says macrumors regular

Can anyone explain why Apple will charge sales tax in states where they don't have a store or a distribution center? I was charged sales tax on my iPod from the Apple Store online.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

They don't need to have a store, they need to have a presence, a presence is pretty loosely defined, I mean is an apple retailer at a university a presence? Apple does it this way because they are a large corporation. Its not just apple stores ... keep that in mind.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i second going up to NH to buy your computers, thats where i am going in january to get my PM and iBook and ACD.

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I got my powerbook at the rockingham park, nh apple store. Education discount+tax free :D

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Remember though, when you file your taxes each april states will ask you to pay sales tax on anything that you bought out of state. Yes, the chances of them checking are slim but would you really want an audit?

9. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Actually very few retailers do this. Apple just pockets the money.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thats where i got my powerbook too :p

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MacConnection is one that will charge Sales Tax.

The only problem with going to NH, would be the Gas. If I understand correctly you would also have to purchase the stock Mac that the store has on hand. If you want built to order that would have to be order online. Which means mailing to a home address and a sales tax. At least my local store doesn't want BTO sent to the store. There reason is very sound, the Mac could accidentally get sold.

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if Apple collects tax, they remit it to the proper government agency - they do not "pocket" the money
    :rolleyes: - Apple is a very large company and their books get looked over quite thoroughly...they would never get away with charging tax and keeping the money....oh yeah!

13. billyergs macrumors member

14. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Don't forget about Amazon, for most states in the U.S.

15. baummer macrumors 6502a

It's not a matter of which retailer does or does not charge sales tax. It's a matter of which states collect sales tax.

16. baummer macrumors 6502a

They do for California residents.

17. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Look at B+H photo, they carry stock and some of the popular BTO's with no sales tax outside of NY, but they do charge shipping :rolleyes:

Amazon does not charge sales tax in most states and usually has a free, but slow, shipping deal

18. punkbass25 macrumors member

then how come when i order from places like amazon i don't pay tax, and i live in taxachussets

because amazon has no "prescence" here

19. baummer macrumors 6502a

Yes, but what I was referring to was that sales tax is determined by the state. Obviously the company in question must have some sort of presence within the state in order to be required to collect sales tax on items sold to all purchasers in that state.