Tax hike on MP3 Players in Canada!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by topicolo, Dec 12, 2003.

1. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The Copyright Board of Canada just instituted a tax hike of $2 to MP3 players of 1BG or less, $15 to MP3 players between 1Gb to 10Gb, and $25 on MP3 players of more than 10Gb!

This could really affect iPod sales here in Canada. What do you guys think about this?

Here's the link.

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Dang! I think I know why they are doing this but they're simply gonna slow the legetimate/paid/legal music movement which is just now starting to develop.

Another problem with this law is that it won't be able to adapt as fast as the developping technology. Withing a year or two, almost all MP3 players, even the really crappy ones could be well over 10 MB, which is the amount of memory at which the tax hit it's higest level ($25) We will end up paying a larger and larger percentage of tax as MP3 players prices go down and a smemory capacity grows. Seems to me that the people who tought up this law are technologically illeterate.

I don't have a single illegal tune on my computer and yet I'm gonna pay more and more to the industry.

Last month they were trying to have the ISP pay them compensation for illegal music downloads... thus risking raising the fees I pay for my internet services.

Seems like the canadian music industry is leading a cruisade to have me shell out more money. I don't download illegal music yet I'll have to front the bill. Bummer.

Well... that's it... My resolution for next year? I won't be purchasing canadian music anymore. Sorry if I seem to overreact but I personally feel pressured because all of this.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

They have clarified because of the new Taxes, downloading music from file sharing networks such as Kazza, is legal in Canada.

They say, because your paying for the tax, the copyright holders have already been compensated.

Uploading, however, is not legal.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you're kidding me? file download is legal? i guess it should be legal for US citizens to take what they want from canada since we pay for x.

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The point is, Canadians pay a Tax to compensate the copyright holder. US consumers do not.

Therefore, why should US consumers be free to download, when they do not pay an equilevent tax?

I really do not know what you are getting at, here -

7. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

christ, who allows all of these incredibly pointless laws, be passed. how do we even know they get the money. Collise de merde.
    aethier.

EDIT*: haha, could be worse we could have the RIAA sueing everyone, and i already havem y Ipod so what do i care. anyways, even if pirating music became illigal i would still do it, it is sharing after all...

8. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Won't be too long until the Record Companies start asking the courts to take a percentage away from your wage cheques, for compensation.

:D

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i'd gladly pay an extra $25 for my 30gb iPod and then download all the songs to fill it, legally.

humm does $25=$10,000? (the cost it would take to fill a 30gb iPod) i don't think so, especially when you consider it is really closer to $25 to $15,000 with the conversion rate. this is plain old sanctioned robbery.

no to mention- this makes canada a nation of leeches. canada's new national motto- we don't give, but we sure will receive!

(btw- i say screw the RIAA, but i still can argue!)

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ciboire! Tu y vas pas avec le dos de la cuillère. ;-)

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

Lets keep it clean here.

12. topicolo thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

What's worse is that they council was considering a 20% tax on CDRs and DVDRs because it's assumed that everyone who buys these things will use them to store pirated music. What's next? the movie industry is going to demand another 20% hike to cover for pirated movies?

Anyway, that decision has been postponed until next year. I guess we'll have to see what comes out of that.

13. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Wow... I bet that idiot Moore is keen on moving to Canada now.

14. skymac macrumors member

im guilty of music downloading. the illigal kind, i knolw im ruining it for every one. i dont think the extra 25bucks will be much of a problem and sweet, i already got my pod. i do howeer think that a small price drop by apple is necessary, especially with the rising CAD.it does kinda suck that the price is so high thnough.

Edit, whos this moore guy thatv your talking about and with this post i seem to have lost my newbie satus.:D

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I think he ment Micheal Moore

just a guess tho

16. filmcutter macrumors member

Re: Tax hike on MP3 Players in Canada!

Be thankful that you get to go to the doctor when you need to. ;)

17. topicolo thread starter macrumors 68000

topicolo

Re: Re: Tax hike on MP3 Players in Canada!

I am thankful :)

I'm just afraid that this will set a precedent for the copyright board and they'll start adding yearly level increases until people have no more choice but to start buying cds from foreign sources. There was already a $0.21 levy on all cdr and cd-rws sold in Canada (from 2 years ago) but the recording industry pushed for a 20% increase in the levy again, which they (thankfully) didn't get.

Also, what happens when hard drive based mp3 players come down in price? In 2-3 years, most MP3 players will probably be 10gig+ and will probably be much cheaper (maybe less than $200). At that price, $25 will be a much bigger chunk of the total price and it could seriously hurt sales.

18. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

This is about as intelligent as Canadian radio. These taxes have no real way of compensating for internet piracy.

Idiotic. Just tax it, eh! This is why Canadians flood into Bellingham all the freaking time.

Watch these taxes become the next Cigarette tax. When you're paying four bucks for a CD-RW don't come crying to me.

Oh well, what's bad for B.C. residents is good for the local economy. :rolleyes:

19. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

20. synergy macrumors regular

It just got worse

Although it is the CRIA

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/12/16/Consumers/onlinemusic031216