Tax on Apple Store Online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jamdr, Oct 31, 2003.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I just bought the Panther up-to-date discs from the Apple store online and they charged me tax! I thought that since it was online, you didn't have to pay tax. I was going to buy my new iBook G4 from the online store because I thought I could save a significant amount on tax, but now I guess I can just go the physical Apple store in Virginia. Is this the experience of others? Why would you even bother to buy something online from Apple if there is tax? You might as well just get it in a store and save yourself the week wait. At least they don't have shipping charges...

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Yes, apple online charges sales tax. as apple is present in every state.

at least .. if you make a custom order (different keyboard, bigger hd etc) it's worth it.

if you want to avoid sales tax, opt for companies that are not present with a physical store in your state, e.g. www.jandr.com (they''re justin ny), or macmall.com ...

3. primalman macrumors 6502a

What he said

4. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Or www.zones.com for which you can call me and I shall take care of you...

5. Ingsoc75 macrumors newbie

I was in Delaware 2 weeks ago where there is no sales tax. I should of bought my PB there at the local store. Instead I bought it here in Texas with an 8.25% tax.

6. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

But the education discount

The problem is that I qualify for the education discount. But now, it's not so much of a discount--I save $100, but I have to pay $60 in taxes. That sucks. I'm thinking I may as well just order online from macmall.com or something and then get the free RAM and no tax.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Do your best to go to the few states with out sales tax.

OR - Oregon
    DE - Deleware
    AK - Alaska (plus Alaska has no state income tax)
    MT - Montana

Probabily more, but I can't think of them now.

Also buying on line from an out-of-state company, that only exists out of state works, however in several states, they have laws where you have to pay the state the sales tax anyway. MI is the only one I know of right now.

TEG

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I for got New Hampsire, no sales tax there.

TEG

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just in case someone gets audited by the state treasury department...

unless you live in states like NH, OR where there's no sales tax, you are *supposed* to pay "use tax" (as it's called in MI) for anything purchased over the internet, mail catalog, etc. where you order from a company not present in your state of residence. as is, unless a company is physically present in the state (like Apple is), the company is not responsible for collecting the sales tax for orders over the web. that doesn't mean you don't pay the sales tax.

mind you, most of us do get away with "not paying sales tax." but it's probably best to have the proper knowledge of what's going on, just in case... :D if you get "caught," the proper thing is to say "it's old, i've had it for a while, and i've lost the receipt." NOT "oh, that PB 17" is only a month old, here's my receipt but as you can see, i luckily avoided paying you people $200 in taxes because i ordered from NH!"

p.s. i think this "loophole" is changing and internet companies will be required to collected sales tax. i've read something on /. but don't know all the details...

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Buy your mac from Backtothemac a member here. He can do BTO and no tax. LOok at my signature. Pm him n email him