Tax question

Discussion in 'App Store Business, Legal and Marketing' started by Tokenfreak, Jun 19, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I filled out my tax info in iTunes connect and it asks if I am subject to backup withholding or payee exempt. I ask a relative who deals with taxes and they told me to go with subject to backup withholding and I did. But now after submitting it I believe they are wrong that it should of been the other choice. I am an individual selling apps on the app store and I have never had or fell behind on my taxes. So which is the correct one to choose subject to backup withholding or payee exempt? Thanks

2. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. thread starter macrumors regular

That thread is absolutely no help to me. It does not mention anything about what I am asking about...

4. macrumors 6502

CalWizrd

Not sure if you should take any more tax advice from that relative.

If you were subject to backup withholding, believe me, you would be painfully aware of that fact.

5. macrumors 603

It does, however, ask some important tax questions you haven't answered:

What country are you in? If it's the USA, what state? City? Those are pretty important for tax issues.

You should get definitive tax advice from a tax or accounting professional. Asking here without getting professional advice is just begging for tax troubles.

6. macrumors regular

According to the W-9 instructions included on the tax page of iTunes Connect, it states:
    In the end, it is probably best to contact a CPA or other tax professional. I had the same problem, and my accountant sorted it all out.

7. macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same issue. I am submitting my app for the first time and by mistake selected incorrect option on tax form. I need to change it to exempt payee as I do not have any tax issues. Is there a way to correct it? Which tax forms do I need to send to ituneconnect?

8. macrumors 6502

Thats not what exempt payee means.

Go talk to cpa if you aren't sure.

I can tell you right now if you are in the U.S.A. Apple is basically asking if you are a LLC or Corporation with that question.