Taxi!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Applespider, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I just got a cab home from my non-denominational, seasonal night out and was struck by how much I dislike them.

Quite apart from the £23 charge, you're stuck for 20 minutes in a dark cab which has the worst suspension since the boneshaker bicycle, having to either stare out of the window or make conversation with the cabby which can be a recipe for disaster. "D'you know who I had in here last week?"

Part of me would rather take the night bus home since one it's free with my pass, two it's light, three I can read my book rather than chatting and four, the seats are more comfortable but sadly it takes 20 minutes longer and doesn't drop me at my door.

I want a cab with comfy seats (perhaps like the German Mercs rather than the London cabs), lights in the back and the ability to turn off the cabbie.

Rant over... thanks (hmm, perhaps I should have stuck this in the drunk thread!)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Taxi drivers are an interesting bunch. I caught a cab recently with some friends of mine and they're all girls. The driver tried to touch one of the girls in a special place. It was very awkward fro the next twenty minutes.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Well, you can't have it all!

Ahh. The London taxi. Apart from being highly overpriced, I don't mind them. The drivers ... meh. It's a gamble all right.

Hope you had a merry non-denominational seasonal night out. :p

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hate cabs here, hot, smelly cause the driver hasn't showered in 6 weeks or so and they never know where you want to go.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I avoid them at all costs. It's amazing that they can still smell sweaty at any time of the day (or night).

6. iGav macrumors G3

And it's full of chavs annoying everyone, and if you're tall the head room sucks, as does the leg room. ;)

Anyway... why can't you read a book in a taxi? :confused:

7. dali macrumors member

In the Netherlands you have Mercedeses with leather seats and if you dont want to talk you dont talk. In Denmark (where I live at the moment) you have mercedes, bmw (6), Volkswagen (touareg) and most of them have dvd screens in the back. So not used to uncomfortable taxi drives..

8. iGav macrumors G3

We have similar cars here, although they're called 'private hire cars', not taxis. ;)

Difference between the two... taxis can pick up off the street and have designated taxi ranks (bit like bus stops) whereas private hire cars can't stop anywhere to pick up passengers and you have to advance book them. Though that may differ from city to city.

9. dcv macrumors G3

No they really are all Mercedes (or 'decent' cars anyway) in Denmark... both private hire cars AND taxis you can flag down in the street.

Slightly different from the dirty Nissan Sunnys and clapped out Toyotas we get as 'private hire' cars in London, huh? :p

10. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Being a shortass that doesn't affect me...

And I can't read a book because it's dark and you can't turn the light on...

11. iGav macrumors G3

If you use the dodgy companies... ;)

True, though the new ones have reading lights in them.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Black Cabs Suck.

They are uncomfortable as noted above. They are amazingly un-fuel effecient. You'd think that as they do so many miles and are diesel they would be engineered to get 40mpg+, but no. They are vastly over priced but as soon as someone talks about competition they all go on strike! Thankfully Ken has introduced licensed mini-cabs so we might finally get a good deal in London.

The Black Cab drivers claim they are better than mini cabs as they have passed the Knowledge but I have had to direct a number of Black Cab drivers to my flat. I live in Zone 2 so you'd think they should know where it is.

So anyway I don't use them anymore. Night Bus, mini-cab or walk for me...