TB port require new HDMI adapter for proper video and sound?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sean Dempsey, Nov 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    Got a monoprice MDP->HDMI adapter from about 1.5. When I hook it to my 2011 MBA, the video connection goes black about every 8 seconds on the TV, and there is no option for audio in the MBA system preferences.

I tested the same cable and adapter on a different 2009 MBP, worked fine (minus the audio which it doesn't support).

Why would the MBA have problems, with what I assume is a better video card? Is it the TB port requiring a different adapter?
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 30, 2003
    Had the same problem on 2011 MBA, but changed HDMI ports and all is well now. Not sure why that helped. Using the same Monoprice cable though, so I can confirm the cable works fine with audio.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    I still don't get HDMI sound, but I did fix the HDMI problem, it was my Yamaha receiver. Plugged the HDMI into the TV and there is no more dropout, but it renders the HDMI audio a moot point.

Oh well. I guess it's not that important to have my computer hooked to the TV just to stream video.

Someday I'll afford a Mac Mini.
  4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    Okay, I got a brand new TB to HDMI adapter.

I found out that it was my receiver, not the computer. So my question is now:

Is there a chance that while my 2011 MBA does hdmi/audio out the TB port, that my receiver doesn't jive with it?

It's a fairly nice receiver, a Yamaha RX V663. It's like 3 years old, but all the other HDMI devices work just fine with it. But the MBA doesn't show HDMI audio as an option.

I wanted to get a Mac Mini for a HTPC, but if my receiver won't accept hdmi audio out of a computer, that sorta kills that idea.