TDK touts 100GB recordable Blu-ray Disc

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 22, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    From the article:

That's insane! It's better than any current laptop!
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    how does hd dvd even think thye have a chance at competition?
  4. macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a good explanation about the perks and quirks of both hd dvd and blu-ray

Ars Technica
  5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'd just love to see one of these come preinstalled on a Power Mac....

It will be nice to have a decent option for the archiving/backup capability for the current harddrives instead of having stacks of DVDs.....
  6. macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    That is off the chain. It is like the ZIP drives of the future, except thousands of times better. Imagine a disc no larger than a CD case that has more storage space than my entire PB hard drive. Mind boggling.
  7. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    Insanity is relative. It really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

As a file-transfer medium (like CDs today), for consumers it's pointless. Very few people are going to have that much stuff to transport.

As a professional file-transfer medium, it is useful. Think of stuff like recording sessions. At 24-bit/192KHz sampling without compression (what studios often use today), 200G will let you store about 2 hours of 48-track recording, or 4 hours of 24-track. This means you can carry the raw unmixed audio for an entire double-album or feature-length movie on a single disc.

It's also wonderful as a backup medium. A 200G disc can back-up 200G of uncompressible data (typically files that have already been compressed, like ZIP, JPG and MP3). At 1.5:1 compression (what you get with a typical mix of non-compressed data), it can hold 300G - enough to easily store the entire contents of all but the largest hard drives.

If you incorporate these 200G discs into a CD-changer type mechanism, then you've got enough capacity to use it for data-center type backups. A 10-disc changer will hold 2TB of data. A hypothetical 200-disc changer (like the ones you can get for your stereo system) with one of these 200G drives, could hold 40TB - enough to back up all but the largest servers.
  8. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    That's part of my plan. When the 100G BluRay drives become available commercially at a reasonable price, I plan on installing one on my Mac (don't know if I'll go internal or external). I will start using it for my backups instead of my VXA-1 tape drive (which stores 33G on each $60 tape). The savings in terms of both time and media-cost will be well worth it.

200G would be even nicer for this purpose, but (at least now) it's unnecessary for me.