Tea Tree Oil

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, May 24, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I heard this was good for keeping the face clean and works better than a lot of prescription meds that treat acne. I have tried a great many things, including acutane and heard that this was good stuff. Is this too good to be true or should I give it shot?

Attached Files:

2. Panoctopi macrumors member

I worked at a health food store for a while and it definitely works... great for cuts (camping kits), any type of skin or nail fungus, and acne. unlike other facial products, usually tea tree products are alcohol free so it's not dehydrating to the skin.

Gook Luck!

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My grandfather who is 82 and renound for making his own medicines swears by this stuff. He puts it in most of his oitments, creams, and other medecinal potions that he makes.

Personally I used one of his creams that had the tea tree oil in it and it cleared up a skin problem I have.

Tea Tree oil also has many other benefits, I think I heard something about blood pressure and weight loss.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

But seriously: topical antiseptics have a positive but limited value for acne. The bacteria that cause the inflammation and pus are deep within the skin, and a surface-applied lotion will not get to them. The key to acne is to prevent the oil glands from clogging in the first place, thus preventing the infection from setting in and creating pus.

Regular gentle washing, with added tea tree oil if you like the feel and smell. For more severe cases, a mild exfoliant like salicylic acid (the active ingredient in most preparations) "burns" off the top layer of dead skin cells and helps prevent pore clogging. I am skeptical of abrasive scrubs, could do more damage than good. Whichever, do not overdo it!! Twice as often or twice as much is NOT better, you can do damage to the healthy skin.
    Oral antibiotics can be prescribed for bad cases.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Didn't work for my acne. I used 1 tea tree based medication and tea trea oil itself. But people's faces react differently to different medications, so take that with a couple grains of salt.

scem0

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i am pretty sure that acne lies within your body and putting things on your skin is not going to solve what is going on in your hormones.

i am maybe about to go onto acutane but i dont really want to, i dont really have it on my face, its kinda bad on my back so i dont really care.

but my point is, if acutane didnt really help then i feel that nothing will

that stuff is the most powerful thing a doctor can 'scribe you