Teach or Compute?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SC68Cal, Nov 12, 2006.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Umm here's a crazy idea... I'll just throw it out there; why don't you just "teach" about "computers" O_O

Just a thought. You could take classes in each and get the feel for them. Don't ask me about careers, I don't think I'll ever figure mine out.

3. SC68Cal thread starter macrumors 68000

This is a possibility. The only problem is that:

A) There is no State Certification for teaching computers (To my knowledge)

that means that I'd probably have to take a hit in pay, because they could easily hire someone that didn't go to a Teachers College to get certifications, thus demand higher pay.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I've been on both sides of the fence, so let me weigh in as best I can.

Teaching is wonderful and it absolutely sucks. I mean, it's a pretty manic profession -- there are days when I walk out saying "I can't do this tomorrow" and there are days when I walk out saying "You know, I can do this forever." It's an awfully tough job if you're trying to find any sort of psychological balance. It is fairly secure, but the pay really isn't that great. I've got two MAs on top of my BA, and I could be making double what I'm making if I just sucked it up and went corporate.

I also managed a Help Desk at a university where my primary responsibility was designing and running software workshops (I taught computers, if you will). While I was doing it, I absolutely hated it -- ten hours a day of soul-sucking, I'm not doing anything for the world or in any way living up to my own ideals boredom. Now that I'm back to teaching, that job seems like heaven.

I mean, can you believe I have to face those kids again tomorrow?

*bangs head against wall*

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

There are state certifications in technology education, or something similar. Talk to your advisor and see what s/he thinks, and if s/he can send you to someone who knows more about technology in the classroom. For most states, once you are certified it's easy to gain certification in another field. You only have to take an exam on the subject.