Teacher Software / Pocket PC Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xappeal, Jan 28, 2007.

1. xappeal macrumors regular

I was just wondering whether there were many other teachers that read this site and if so what software they use at school. I use Apps for Mac or Pocket PC (using parallels to sync). I'm interested in productivity apps as well as those used in the classroom.

I use:

Easy Grade Pro
    Pocket EGP
    iWeb
    Transmit (for my website)
    Conduct
    Lesson Planner Advanced
    iLife apps
    Keynote
    Parallels

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As much as I want to, I haven't started using any apps in my class yet. Although one day I did a Keynote presentation and then let them watch "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" afterward. Our grading software (STI) is going to be web based next year. Our email already is, so I'll be able to use my Powerbook more often. If I am ever able to afford a projector (the one the school has is about 8 years old), I want to create more keynote presentations. The kids really enjoy it. I'm going to check out some of the other programs you list.

btw: I'm first year, so I'm still feeling my way about.

3. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, today is the first day of my second year. It's unfortunate that your school only has one projector, we are under resourced compared to some of the schools in our area on some things as well.

If you want something purely to help yourself at work, I highly suggest Easy Grade Pro, that program has helped me so much.

4. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

I've been teaching for the better part of four years now, in addition to living with a teacher for many years before that. I personally use Keynote 2-3 times a week and have gotten quite addicted to it. Beyond that, since I teach physics, I use Omnigraffle to throw together a lot of diagrams and figures. I also have a LaTeX Equation Editor handy to generate the equations for my slides. More recently I've started to use Pages to do my handouts and quizzes. Most of the papers I grade are submitted to me in PDF format so I can do all the markups in Acrobat Pro (I use a mixture of post-it notes and digital ink markups, using my Wacom tablet). It takes some getting used to, but doing the grading electronically can be just as fast or faster than on paper, plus you have a searchable archive of all your old papers and your comments, AND you don't have to carry around a stack of papers everywhere, just your laptop!

While not really "software", I am also very happy with my Logitech Presenter Remote (I think that's the name). Its a handy little black remote I use for Keynote presentations that has a built-in laser pointer and a countdown clock with vibrate alarms at 10- and 5-minutes-to-go. Whenever I go to a conference, the timer is a real blessing. Its just something I'm always sure to have in my laptop bag.

5. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

I think Keynote is the best. When you get your new MacBook you can use the Apple remote to control the slides. The timing function sounds great though.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I was sub-teaching at a Math and Science boarding school last year, and a student asked to borrow my iBook so he could run a problem on Grapher.

I want to use my phone to run a Keynote!

7. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any new apps that any other teachers are now using?

I'd really like to get a list of a few to put on my website:

www.middleyearsscience.com

There are about six or seven teachers at my school that use Macs, it would be great to have a comprehensive list.