Teachers and School Districts to Sue Over Education Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 20, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Anyone know if unfunded mandates have been successfully challenged before? If this suit succeeds, it will upset a pretty large applecart of federal legislation. The first one that comes to mind is the Americans with Disabilities Act.

3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Being a teacher, I hope to God this goes through. The No Child Left Behind Act is a complete farce.

Because of the act, success is only based on the kids' confidence in the school I teach. Parents are allowed to go in and change the childs' grades; they have complete control over how the district treats their kid.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

?!?!?!

please elaborate.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My Mom has to suffer through this as well (4th grade teacher in low income, ESL area). They can barely afford school supplies, but lets spend more money enforcing laws that look pretty on paper yet do nothing in real life (except makes the things it's supposed to fix actually worse). Running theme with this administration.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The way schools are run, the school boards can elect to change certain things (like whether a child who has failed a year will be held back or move on regardless) on a case-by-case basis.

Since the school boards are locally elected by small numbers of voters, the parents can get their way on quite a number of issues if they are influential persons or can otherwise apply enough pressure.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My wife worked at a school where parents demanded that she change kids grades. Apparently it worked often enough that parents were trying it. One parent came in demanding she not fail her kid because what with football he just didn't have enough time to do his homework. I believe the quote was "I expect his grade to go up." My wife's reply? "I expect it to as well." :)

BTW, she wasn't rehired there after that first year. We were none to sad about it.

That was the same district that started their school board meetings with a tall skinny guy in a cowboy hat and big belt buckle saying "Lets bow our heads and pray to Jesus..." :rolleyes:

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

chuckle oh boy that is so different over here.. here you need a 2/3 Majority to change most School laws so it's nearly impossible unless you get all 4 or at least the 2 big parties oth completly behind you in parliament ... so since, i guess, 10 years no single Law has passed concerning Schools... some politcial parties tried to remove that 2/3 majorty thing bu normal it's considered a "hot iron" who you shouldn't touch