Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Apr 1, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

Is this for real?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Probably not. Sounds like a report based on rumors.

Why the city's name would have to be withheld is beyond me. If it is true, the teachers (or teacher) should be disciplined.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Based on the article's source, I guess no. The Daily Mail is a sensationalist rag that likes to stir up bad feeling towards one group after another. Obviously it's the Muslim's turn this week, but next week they'll move on to Eastern Europeans or single mothers etc.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Anyone who quotes the daily mud as an authoritative source, has no idea what the dm is all about. It's a muck raking, right wing reactionary rag.

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I hope you don't think I quoted the DM as an authoritative source.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    ~ George Santayana​

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

April Fools?

I assure you, if the Holocaust was ever dropped from curriculum, there would be public outcry. What was the point of this article? Anti-Muslim propaganda?

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, but it's ironic that we don't teach about the other holocausts like Pol Pot and some of the other regimes in school.

Talk about inherent biases in history lessons.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That's true. I'd like to see a lot more emphasis on the history of the rise of tyrannical leaders and the effects they had on the country or region myself rather than the battle centered history I learned while in school.

11. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yep, that's why I prefer to do a lot of outside reading. Authority figures make poor teachers.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Agreed. Historical context is important. Which hills various soldiers stood on is pretty unimportant. The problem is, history is politics, so it's easier to go for the safe or meaningless subjects.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

But why play things safe? Isn't education about provocation and being aroused to action?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i would fully support a mandatory high school class on nothing other than examinations of historical (and modern) instances of tyrrany.

it could easily be fit in by sacrificing just one of the 4 years learning about the pilgrims.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, who cares about the pilgrims anyways?

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If I hadn't taken four years of Latin I don't know how I would have learned ancient history at all, and I went to private schools! I'm grateful for the strong math and science background I received, but I don't think any school is exactly preparing kids for geography or history competitions.

17. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

those damn pilgrims. :D

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I would love to learn Latin someday. I am jealous :)

19. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ha! miserable freedom seekers...

i should mention that, way back when i did grade school / junior high / high school, we had american history every year. it was always the same time period, mentions of columbus, but concentrating on early 1600's to modern day.

only we *never* got to modern day; usually the school year would end just as we got to the 20th century. it was the same information every year and it felt like a complete waste to me.

maybe such repetition has gone away, or maybe that was just a "growing up in indiana" thing.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I probably spent more time on Latin homework than on all my other subjects combined! I know you can still take it in Jesuit run schools, but I'm not sure how available it is at other schools.

22. Lau Guest

I disagree massively with censoring history in this way, but it's worth noting that the way the national curriculum works (or at least it was in my day ;) ) is that certain periods or events in history are studied as blocks, and so for a term or a year you'll focus on a certain event, and then the next year it'll be a totally different event from a different era.

Because of this, it's kind of pot luck what you end up learning, depending what's on the curriculum at that point, and if a certain period or event gets missed out it could be just as much to do with the way things have worked out. Not trying to get drawn into this, just a comment on how a curriculum anomaly could be exaggerated into something more sinister, especially if the Daily Mail got its grubby little fingers on it.

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, that's why I don't need no education :)

24. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

the "groundhog day" approach to american history. i remember that. we had it in pittsburgh, too. i think one year we got up to world war 2. even if we had more time, that was it though- our textbooks ended at 1945.