Teachers terrorize kids

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by killr_b, May 14, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Yeah, incase you forgot about your kids being in the hands of maniacs all day everyday…

Teachers Stage Fake Gun Attack on Kids

These people are sick, and you know what? This isn't the first time they've done this this year. In fact, if I can dig it up I will, students have been shot by police who were staging these attacks.

But don't worry, the government and the police love you and would never hurt you or your children… :rolleyes:

2. macrumors 68020

ezzie

read this on CNN this morning, and i have to say, i'm just shocked at how stupid and heartless this truly was.

the icing on the cake was that the staff members told the children that it was not a drill....that there really was a gunman after them. ridiculous. i can only imagine how frightened these kids really were.

this doesn't even compare, but when i was in 11th grade, we were coming back from Florida (band trip) on our charter bus. most of us were sleeping, when all of a sudden the bus pulled over, one of the chaperones started screaming "everyone out! fire! the bus is on fire!" and we all stumbled of the bus, groggy and out of it and frightened. we all got off the bus, and the chaperone says "just kidding......we have doughnuts for everyone, so grab one on your way back on the bus." :mad: i know how shaken, irritated, angry i was about that....these poor 6th graders were feeling it tenfold, i'm sure.

everyone involved in this "exercise" should be disciplined. period.

3. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Registration is required for the article, can you quote it?

4. macrumors 68020

ezzie

from CNN:

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

My bad.

6. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Here's their press release or whatever you want to call it. spin

I'd be shopping for a new school if I were one of those parents.

Just another reason my children will never set foot in a public school.

7. macrumors 6502

what goes through someone's head that makes them think this is a good idea? ridiculous.

i live in murfreesboro, so it's odd to hear it happened here.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Gee, loss of pay for 13 days. And they're suspended. So, they got a two week unpaid vacation right before summer vacation…

Maybe someone from Murfreesboro should sue them.

9. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Not even a token apology, either.

10. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Is it terrible that reading that made me laugh?

I'm not saying it's good. It's definitely wrong, and retarded. They should definitely be punished. But funny wrong.

11. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Firing's too good for these people.

They should go to JAIL. That's gotta be a crime in there somewhere.

12. macrumors G4

dmw007

I can not believe that the school officials thought this would be a good idea. :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 603

solvs

And to think, we were mad at some sub showing a boring movie about gay cowboys. :rolleyes:

If any school official every did this to me when I was a kid, or one of my kids, I know I'd never trust them again.

14. macrumors 68020

They should have tried this at their local grocery. Or better yet, at a bank or in an airplane. Care to take a guess at what would have happened? :rolleyes:

I hope the DA looks into this. At the very least we have reasonable suspicion that they were under the influence of crack cocaine at the time.

15. macrumors 6502a

The question I have is, at what point does this become "outrageous" to people?

Being a school teacher I can say from first hand experience that we drill the students alot on certain situations and never tell them if the situation is real or not. It's standard procedure to have fire drills and tornado drills once a month and not tell them on purpose. Trust me you don't get the same reaction from the students and they don't take it as seriously if you preface the drill with a disclaimer saying it's not real.

From what I've read, people consider it bad that we do that with tornado and fire drills?

Obviously age has alot to do with the situation. I deal with high school. Maybe their nerves are more prepared to practice a very life like situation.

And in no way am I saying what was done with the fake gunman is right. I just want to know where the line can be drawn!

16. macrumors 68020

ezzie

i'm not a teacher and i don't have kids. i have, however, been in the public school system and been through fire/tornado drills. with tornado drills....everyone goes to the hallways and lines up with their heads between their knees. fire drills....everyone leaves the building through the emergency exits. shooting drills....hide, run, scream, cry, and cower, because you know how randomly and quickly kids get shot during school shootings. these kids have seen this stuff on TV, they've heard about it, and it's probably moved up a bit on their "fear" list because it's been in the news recently, like only a month ago at VT.

the other problem here is that this "drill" occurred in a state park on a class trip, not in school. when was the last time you had a fire drill on a field trip?

17. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think a lot of it has to do with intent. If I read the original press release correctly, which has now been replaced on the school's website, the children were expecting Generic Teacher Prank on Kids. Obviously they got something much different. Also, the event in question didn't even happen at school but on some sort of field trip. You'd think if they were aiming to prepare students for Just In Case™, they'd include the whole school.

It really scares me that we've apparently turned the corner where we need to include terrorist or disgruntled armed student drills along with fire and tornado.

I'm just waiting for the Winnie the Pooh and Spongebob branded body armor for schoolchildren.

18. macrumors 68020

freeny

I would sue for an appology as well as tuition to private school for the remainder of my childs grade school learning.
    And Im pretty darn sure I would win.

19. macrumors 68020

When we start using common sense. Try this in a different setting, like I mentioned once already, and see what happens.

Fire drills in schools don't normally involve setting a controlled fire in front of them, nor do we use real tornados either. We can't simulate Columbine or VT any more than we can simulate a tornado or earthquake.

What about lockdown drills? Are these employed? That would be a good start, if not.

20. macrumors 6502

I'm an elementary school teacher, and we do lockdown drills on a random basis. I never tell the class when it comes; sometimes I'll be in the middle of a lesson (even mid-sentence) and I'll just say "lockdown". My class knows exactly what to do.

That said, I think that having an emergency procedure on an overnight field trip is a very good idea. HOWEVER (caps for the people who don't read all the words...), this situation was handled so spectacularly POORLY and INCORRECTLY it boggles the mind. That is NOT the way you teach children an emergency procedure. Those involved should be ashamed of themselves, and should seriously reconsider their professions.

21. macrumors 6502a

Yes we do lockdown drills, although nobody, even teachers, are told if it's a drill or not.

If a students freak during a drill, should we stop the drills? Would people here be up in arms because some kids were unfairly treated?

At what point does the drill go too far? It's not a cut and dry answer is it?

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

How about the part where the teacher told the kids "this is not a drill"

23. macrumors G3

puckhead193

They took a weeklong trip; is this camp? :confused:
    what the hell were the teachers thinking.... :eek:

24. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

OMG ..... and some people have the cheek to say the Irish are mad :confused:

Who ever thought of this should be sectioned or join Paris Hilton for a while.

FJ

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

killr_b

It's a common activity for 6th graders. Here, we called it 'outdoor' school. It was a week where I live as well.