Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ah yeah. They look sweet. They're not even a hat. They go where the badge goes so you can wear them all the time.

P-Worm

Nooooo!
I wear my Primeval Warrior badge with pride, whereas I have no interesting hats at all. That sucks.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I am downloading now finally...

2qvflgk.jpg

Hopefully the frame rates aren't crappy like HL2.

Is TF2 multiplayer only or does it have a single player game like HL2 ?

It's Multiplayer only.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Actually it's not purely multiplayer anymore. They've added a training mode and (what sounds like) single player bots. I know some servers use bots if there aren't enough people playing but from what I gather they've expanded upon that.

Damers

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
I can't believe no one has asked this yet, so I will... :eek:

TF2 on a 13" MBP with 320M, yay or nay? AA and high settings aren't important but FPS in the 30+ range are.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Runs terribly. Game defaulted to something*640, everything set to medium. I turned everything down to Low and it runs at around 5-10fps. Sound is also totally bugged.

I get 50-60fps on the same machine under XP at 1280*800, everything on medium (shaders high, HDR off).

capn7

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Mine ran pretty good on the Summer '09 MBP.

I just need to figure out an easy way to use my PS3 controller as a controller. It's easy on my to do it on my PC, but not so much on the MBP.

EvillYoda

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
No matter what settings I use this game keeps bottoming out.... :mad: It slows to a crawl and I mean >10 fps!!! Completely unplayable. Works with High settings at native resolution on my windows 7 bootcamp :confused: !!! Come on Valve!!!

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Once Apple releases Mac OS 10.6.4, performance should dramatically improve due to new drivers. Don't know myself, but that's what I'm hearing. :D

I'm also hearing that the TF2 community is pissy that us Mac users are now playing with them, so they are booting anyone with an Apple logo in their name or someone wearing earbuds. Kind of reminds me of those little recess cliques back in elementary school. :rolleyes:

airwalke

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Once Apple releases Mac OS 10.6.4, performance should dramatically improve due to new drivers. Don't know myself, but that's what I'm hearing. :D

I'm also hearing that the TF2 community is pissy that us Mac users are now playing with them, so they are booting anyone with an Apple logo in their name or someone wearing earbuds. Kind of reminds me of those little recess cliques back in elementary school. :rolleyes:

*sigh* Little do they understand that many Mac users have been playing them already, perhaps even since the beginning. I think the Mac earbuds are an awesome touch, but I can't believe admins are booting people from their servers just because their choice of computer.

If TF2 were a Mac-only game that suddenly got ported to the PC, I don't think you'd see the same hostility. What children.

airwalke

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
Seriously can't wait to make top 3 during a round and flaunt those earbuds while doing it.

Although, if OS X performance is as billed right now, then I may have to switch back to Windows 7 to do it. :(

DarkCloud2015

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2010
*sigh* Little do they understand that many Mac users have been playing them already, perhaps even since the beginning. I think the Mac earbuds are an awesome touch, but I can't believe admins are booting people from their servers just because their choice of computer.

If TF2 were a Mac-only game that suddenly got ported to the PC, I don't think you'd see the same hostility. What children.

I'm not even surprised. After starting to use my Mac for gaming, I'm getting all sorts of snippy remarks from PC users. I guess that's how they deal with the frustration of using Windows :D

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
maybe im just not getting this game or going to the wrong servers/levels or something, but this game kinda sucks.

I have been hearing all this hype being built up about it being released on mac so i bought it(couldn't figure out how to download the free weekend) and i am not impressed at all. Am i missing something?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
EARBUDS:
I had a great reaction to the ear buds tonight at the server where I play. Apparently they had been talking about them right before I joined and when they saw "Flash SWT has found Earbuds" everyone wanted to take a look.

After they saw the music notes coming out of them several people commented that after seeing them they wished they could get them as well. After that it was back to gaming as normal.

PERFORMANCE:
Yes it isn't very good for me on 10.5.8. I'm expecting it to get better over time and once I upgrade to 10.6.

maybe im just not getting this game or going to the wrong servers/levels or something, but this game kinda sucks.

I have been hearing all this hype being built up about it being released on mac so i bought it(couldn't figure out how to download the free weekend) and i am not impressed at all. Am i missing something?

You're gonna have to elaborate a little more. What don't you get? It is a multiplayer game with 9 difference classes of "characters" which makes teamwork very important. Unlike Counter Strike each class has widely different skills, abilities and weapons. There are several different kinds of maps with the most common being Control Points, Capture the Flag and Payload which each play differently.

Here is a great website if you want to read up on the general properties of each class or map:
http://tf2wiki.net/

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I can't even run TF2 at 1280x720 on medium settings without it hanging up...

Via XP I can run 1920x1080 Full Maxed Settings one everything and get 65FPS constant if not higher at times. Just too much of a difference for me and I guess I would rather boot Windows to play.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
EARBUDS:
You're gonna have to elaborate a little more. What don't you get? It is a multiplayer game with 9 difference classes of "characters" which makes teamwork very important. Unlike Counter Strike each class has widely different skills, abilities and weapons. There are several different kinds of maps with the most common being Control Points, Capture the Flag and Payload which each play differently.

on both maps that i played on, people were just running around like crazy, so all i got out of the game was iffy graphics(didn't expect anything crazy good though) and it seemed that no matter how many times i shot someone they would always outlive me.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
on both maps that i played on, people were just running around like crazy, so all i got out of the game was iffy graphics(didn't expect anything crazy good though) and it seemed that no matter how many times i shot someone they would always outlive me.

Try to find a sever that isn't full of other new users. While this will make it a little harder to kill people you'll also have people actually trying to achieve the objectives. Also every class has a different health level so some are easier to kill then others. The Heavy for example is the slowest moving but has the most health at 300. Medics can also "over heal" players, up to 450 for the Heavy, so if they've just had a medic attached they're going to be even harder to kill.

It'll take a little time to decide which classes you enjoy the most and are the best at. It'll also take time to figure out things like rocket jumping with the soldier and air blasting with the pyro. If you haven't already watch the movies to get a feel for the "spirit/attitude" of the game.

http://www.teamfortress.com/movies.htm

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
I just played for 2 hours at 2560x1440 with zero issues.
Well, other than the fact that I ain't so good...ha
Plays way better than on my X-box 360.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Ok, should be labeled with a huge "BETA!!"..

My audio cut off and for whatever reason I can't get it back... performance is unplayable even on lowest settings..

Not really expecting a whole lot, but at least it's decent on XP still for my aging iMac (god do I regret not getting a better video card)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.